|Job Title||Communications Officer|
|Salary information||Circa £30k|
|Date of interviews||12/12/2013|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth and environmental sciences.
We are looking for an individual who will take on the portfolio of corporate publications ranging from annual report to our user community newsletter Diamond News. As communications officer, the post holder will have responsibility for the editorial maintenance of internal and external websites from copywriting to liaison with the various content editors.
With strong copywriting skills, the individual will deliver and facilitate content for corporate publications by liaising with staff from across divisions to ensure new up-to-date content is created and used across platforms This is an exciting time to join the team as there is plenty of scope to shape this new role.
For an informal conversation, please contact Isabelle Boscaro-Clarke, Head of Communications on 01235 778130.
AIM: Responsible for the production and delivery of a range of corporate publications, editorial content management of external and internal web sites.
- Manage the production of Diamond News, technical publications and scientific literature as required, coordinating all associated activities and liaising with the relevant parties, ensuring they are published in a timely manner;
- Significant contribution to the planning and delivery of the annual report working closely with internal and external contributors;
- Be responsible for the creation of regular science highlights and case-studies based on peer reviewed articles ensuring that they are appropriately categorised;
- Liaise with staff and academic users to develop editorial ideas as required;
- Ensure a proactive framework is in place so that Diamond’s websites are up-to-date and meet brand, key messages, strategic and communication requirements;
- Deliver high quality content and ensure the quality of the design of external website is maintained, and meet the needs of various stakeholders and audiences;
- Copywriting for online platforms and to source information across divisions to generate and /or facilitate new up-to-date content;
- Develop new content in graphical format to facilitate poster production, illustrations and ensure that content is captured and optimised for online display.
Contribute to other communications activities including general copywriting and copyediting, grant applications, educational projects and corporate events as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Science Degree or equivalent;
- Experience of working in a busy communications/press office;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Strong technical copywriting skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Strong IT skills – standard MS office, database Management;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Strong interest in science communication;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Person flexible and able to quickly adapt to new environments;
- Person able to work as a team and build good relationships with staff across the organisation.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Flexible to work outside standard office hours;
- Experience of content editing web and intranet sites;
- Knowledge of a second European language;
- Experience of PR and press relations.
For an informal conversation, please contact Isabelle Boscaro-Clarke, Head of Communications on 01235 778130 or email@example.com
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org