|Job Title||Software Engineer|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
The scientific software team are a multidisciplinary team of software developers who are responsible for delivering high quality applications to support the ground breaking science undertaken at the facility. As a part our work we routinely exploit new and advanced computing and software techniques in what is a demanding scientific and challenging user environment.
The successful candidate will contribute to our efforts in software automation in the field of structural biology. In particular, macromolecular crystallography (MX) and biological small angle X-ray scattering techniques (BioSAXS) are two highly automated, complementary experiments used to determine 3 dimensional structural information on proteins. Working with existing staff and international collaborators you will enhance and extend our existing fully automatic MX data reduction and structure solution pipelines as well as help develop the equivalent for BioSAXS as part of a European wide initiative, Biostruct-X (http://www.biostruct-x.eu/).
Duties to include:
- Working with the beamline scientists and the data acquisition team to identify and define requirements for the data management, analysis and visualization of results;
- Management and implementation of required software including appropriate documentation and project plans;
- Work closely with acquisition colleagues to enable the integration of analysis and visualization software into the data acquisition process where appropriate;
- Technical expertise of software techniques and tools to employ;
- Use scientific and technical knowledge to understand and implement data management analysis and visualization software;
- Development and use of collaboration across multidisciplinary teams from potentially geographically separated locations;
- Produce project plans and documentation;
- Implement appropriate software testing regimes as part of the development process;
- Source, evaluate, install and support any 3rd party software required to meet the requirements for data management, analysis and visualization.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse RCP;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python;
- Experience of integrating and using database systems as part of software workflows.
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Enjoys team work;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practise;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience or understanding of synchrotron experimentation and data interpretation;
- Requires significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences ;
- Project management experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org