Electrical Beamline Technician
|Job Title||Electrical Beamline Technician|
|Salary information||Circa £26k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require experienced electrical technicians to work on X-ray beamlines. You will provide support during the installation and commissioning phases of our complex X-ray beamlines, reporting directly to the Senior Electrical Engineer responsible. You will ensure that all necessary tools, cables, connectors and drawings are available and supervise any electricians allocated to the beamline. You will carry out installation and commissioning tasks yourself and be able to mark up drawings with as-built information. Using your experience you will also contribute to the detailed planning of the beamline.
- Installation and commissioning support for specialist beamline equipment. This will include working on all electrical aspects of the beamline including: racks and field equipment. It will also include installation of motors and electrical sensors for items such as vacuum, pneumatics, water flow and temperature monitoring.
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of above systems;
- Safety inspections on electrical systems;
- Undertaking the testing, fault finding and calibration of beamline module
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or Electrical or Electronic City & Guilds or GNVQ level 2 qualification (applicants with equivalent work experience may also be considered);
- Relevant work experience in an electrical support role with industrial or scientific control systems;
- Basic knowledge of electrical and electronic circuit theory and practice;
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electrical systems;
- Good understanding of electrical safety practices for LV & HV low power circuits and devices;
- Ability to understand and interpret electrical drawings, circuit diagrams and basic mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering, crimping, cable assembly and rack wiring;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments including oscilloscopes and multimeters.
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Effective team player.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Completed technical apprenticeship and HNC qualification;
- Experience with Stepper Motors, Servo drives and encoders;
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding for motion control systems;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD for electrical design work;
- An understanding of PLC operation and programming;
- An appreciation of the parameters affecting choice and operation of different drives;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Knowledge of communication protocols such as RS232/422/485;
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org