Postdoctoral Research Associate in Multicrystal X-ray Data Analysis
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Researcher in Multicrystal X-ray Data Analysis for macromolecular crystallography|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are looking for a highly motivated researcher to develop tools for analysis of multicrystal diffraction data sets, with a view to delivering one or more complete data sets for downstream analysis. We aim to develop techniques to (i) provide more robust protocols for data collection (ii) more robust processing with existing tools and (iii) more robust autoindexing tools to work with existing software. The candidate will work closely with other developers at Diamond in all aspects of the work. This work will be carried out in collaboration with the MX team at the Soleil synchrotron and as such will involve travelling to Soleil 3-4 times a year for meetings and experiments.
The analysis of partial data sets from multiple crystals is essential in the context of microbeams and the future development of a submicron X-ray beamline for MX at Diamond (VMX project) provides an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic crystallographer with an interest in methods development.
Duties to incude:
- Working closely with project leader, software teams and beamline staff to develop new methods for multicrystal data analysis;
- Conduct scientific research and development into crystallographic methods under the guidance of the project leader;
- Publish and present research at conferences both in UK and abroad;
- Support users by providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Good working knowledge of scientific programming;
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and presentational skills;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours;
- Self motivation;
- Be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Experience in macromolecular crystallography data collection and analysis;
- Experience in programming in a high level language (e.g. Python)
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of contributing in a major way to a successful scientific software project;
- Experience in providing expert support to end-users;
- Experience in advanced programming techniques.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com