Graduate / Software Engineer
|Job Title||Graduate / Software Engineer|
|Salary information||Circa £27k / £35k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Join us within the Data Acquisition team to help provide the IT infrastructure for Diamond’s small angle scattering beamlines. You’ll get to grips with the full software engineering lifecycle using Agile development processes; programming in Java to develop highly robust server applications and science focussed user interfaces. We’re looking for solid self-starters with at least a 2.1 in science or engineering with a keen interest in science, as well as proficiency in Java, C++, C# or Python.
As a member of the team you will be assisting in the development of the open source project GDA; see www.opengda.org for more details.
- Work with scientists and engineers on the overall design and specification for the data acquisition systems.
- Work as part of a small team to design, implement, test and document data acquisition system software for the photon beamlines.
- Provide support for the commissioning of beamline data acquisition systems.
- Provide operational support and maintenance of software for existing systems, including attention and response to fault reports when appropriate.
- Personal training and development.
Additional duties for appointment at higher level
- Working with the beamline scientists and the data analysis team to define and document requirements for experimental beamlines
- Use advanced programming tools and object oriented languages to design, implement and support the data acquisition software for one or more Diamond beamlines.
- Writing scripting software for the advanced control of instrumentation associated with experimental beamlines.
- Core Data Acquisition (GDA) code development.
- Defining, documenting and implementing testing strategies for data acquisition software.
- Develop and maintain expertise in software techniques, and apply them to the development of new software applications and associated frameworks
- Provide a technical advisory/support function within area of expertise to other departments or divisions.
- Maintain responsibility for the management and co-ordination of own workload and ensure outputs delivered on time and to high quality
- First line support of the software for one for more Diamond beamline interacting closely with both beamline staff and external users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Conscientious and pays attention to details
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
- Self motivated
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification
- Science at A level or above
Additional essential attributes required for appointment at the higher level:
- Good presentational skills
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences
- Significant relevant experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python
- Software Engineering experience
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Good presentational skills
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration.
- Experience of interfacing software to hardware
- Graphics programming toolkits
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org