Near Field InfraRed MicroSpectroscopy Support Scientist at MIRIAM (beamline B22)Senior Support Scientist, Beamline BLB22.
|Job Title||Near Field InfraRed MicroSpectroscopy Support Scientist at MIRIAM (beamline B22)|
|Date of interviews||12/12/2013|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable international level research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
The Multimode InfraRed Microspectroscopy and Imaging Beamline (MIRIAM) is a state of the art IR facility for molecular microscopy/spectroscopy that provides the highest spatial resolution/sensitivity optically attainable over the full IR range. At MIRIAM, the use of near field methods is in an advanced stage of development with the first Synchrotron-based non-diffraction limited IR microspectroscopy experiments in progress. These developments will facilitate IR mapping of sub-cellular structures ex vivo or in aqueous environments.
The Beamline Support Scientist will work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientist to ensure the commissioning, smooth operation and development of the Near Field IR microscope which will be operated as a 3rd endstation at MIRIAM. He/She will assist in supporting academic and industrial user research. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute significantly to the internationally competitive in-house research programme in IR ultramicrospectroscopy.
In addition, the post holder will support the MIRIAM Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Commissioning and optimisation of the near field IR microscope;
- Assist in the implementation and testing of the hardware/optics for the 3rd MIRIAM endstation;
- Assist in the development of data acquisition/synchronisation with the IR interferometer, data visualisation and analysis software;
- Assist in the development and upgrade of the MIRIAM beamline as required.
- Provide local contact support for external users particularly for the 3rd end station at MIRIAM;
- Contribute to IR research projects at the beamline, including publication of the results and presentation of beamline developments and scientific papers at meetings and conferences;
- Produce reports and documentation (e.g. manuals) to support the MIRIAM beamline and instrumentation.
Additional duties for appointment at Senior level:
- Contribute to the development of new hardware/software systems and approaches through identification of possible improvements to the IR ultramicroscope;
- Contribute to the in-house research of MIRIAM with a special emphasis on exploiting the unique characteristics of non-diffraction limited IR microspectroscopy;
- Participate in the implementation of major developments at the beamline.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree;
- Experience or knowledge of IR/Raman spectroscopy and/or microscopy;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent post graduate experience (Essential for appointment at the higher level);
- Experience with or knowledge of synchrotron based IR spectroscopy/microscopy;
- Experience with or knowledge of Atomic Force/Scanning Probe Microscopy or ultramicroscopy;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix hardware/software.
For an informal discussion about this vacancy, please email MIRIAM Principal Beamline Scientist Gianfelice Cinque at Gianfelice.email@example.com
Diamond is committed to equality of opportunities for all, and to offer a competitive salary (dependent upon skills, qualifications and experience), comprehensive benefits, an index-linked pension scheme and flexible working hours.
For an application form and further information including work permit and visa requirements for non-EU nationals please visit our website at www.diamond.ac.uk, telephone our recruitment line on 01235 778218 or write to us at the address below, quoting the appropriate reference number.
For further information about this role please visit: www.diamond.ac.uk
Diamond Light Source Ltd, Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire OX11 0DE
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org