Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist
|Job Title||Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist|
|Salary information||Circa 33k - Circa £42k (depending on previous experience and qualifications)|
|Date of interviews||02/12/2013|
Beamline I22 (Non Crystalline Diffraction) is a high-flux SAXS/WAXS facility that is optimised for both biological and materials science. The beamline uses an in-vacuum undulator to generate X-rays in the range of 3.7-20 keV, and delivers a high photon flux into a focused 50 x 330 µm spot. The modular arrangement of the I22 end station allows a choice between small angle scattering for large scale structures or microfocus illumination, each with a wide angle scattering option for materials studies. Both platforms are designed to host a wide range of purpose designed specialized environment cells. Recent developments include a GiSAXS capability which will be commissioned in the near future.
The Beamline Scientist will work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientist in the continuing development of the beamline including design, procurement, construction, commissioning of upgrades as well as ongoing User Support.
This position is offered at either a Beamline Scientist or Senior Beamline Scientist level, dependent upon your skills and previous experience.
Non Crystalline Diffraction is one of the truly synergistic interdisciplinary sectors within UK science and the wider international arena and I22/B21 serve communities in the biological, medical, physical and environmental science communities. The selected candidate will be encouraged to lead individual or collaborative research activities on the beamline and elsewhere preferably in the physical sciences.
Beamline Scientist Duties
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Installation, assembly, and maintenance of a range of equipment and systems on the beamline and support laboratories, including testing and commissioning;
- Procurement of straightforward beamline components;
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components;
- Local contact support to users by setting up and providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques once beamline operational;
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline and disseminate through publications and presentations;
- Assist in the development of a new item of equipment or system on the beamline, including testing and commissioning.
Senior Beamline Scientist (Additional duties for appointment at the senior level)
- To lead the design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of particular significant items for the beamline or instrumentation which would enhance or improve its capability;
- Procurement of significant beamline components;
- Specification of software needs for user operation;
- Develop own research/technical expertise to become internationally recognised through publications and presentations for own work in an area relevant to beamline;
- Enhance the operation of the facility by collaboration and dissemination of specialist knowledge with the other Diamond staff and users.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification
- Second degree in appropriate subject
- Experience of Small Angle Scattering
- Experience of data collection at a synchrotron
- Relevant SAS research experience
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
- Self motivated
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of beamline instrumentation (Essential for Senior Role)
- Experience of SAS analysis package(s) (Essential for Senior Role)
- Experience of sample environment development
- Successful scientific publication record in a relevant field (Essential for Senior Role)
- Experience with Windows/Linux
- Programming skills in Python and Java;
- Project management experience (Essential for Senior Role)
Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com