Mechanical Design Engineer
|Job Title||Mechanical Design Engineer|
|Salary information||Circa £35k (depending on skills, qualifications and relevant experience)|
• Work closely with internal & external scientific and engineering staff to produce mechanical designs for projects.
• Develop and apply expertise in technologies including ultra high vacuum systems, stable support structures, precision mechanisms, cryogenics and the general design of scientific equipment and plant.
• Produce concept designs, layouts, assembly drawings and detailed manufacturing drawings employing AutoCAD and Pro-Engineer software.
• Carry out calculations and FEA as competence and supervision allow.
• Procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers.
• Supervision of internal and contract design staff and control of quality.
• Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
• Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects.
• Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to design problems
• Excellent working knowledge of 3D CAD system with significant hands on experience.
• Demonstrate self-motivation.
• Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it efficiently through to completion.
• Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers.
• Excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings including symbols for geometric tolerancing, surface finish and welding.
• Experience of working in a team, discussing work with other team members and presenting ideas and solutions to engineers or customers.
• Experience in the selection of materials and processes for design solutions.
• HNC or equivalent in relevant discipline
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
• Good working knowledge of Pro/Engineer CAD system
• Good working knowledge of PDM-Link
• Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff.
• Design experience of mechanical joining: brazing, welding, bonding.
• Experience of manufacturing techniques: milling, turning, casting, forging etc.
• Light manual tasks may be involved during commissioning.
• Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com