Beamline Scientist or Senior Beamline Scientist, Beamline I13
|Job Title||Beamline Scientist or Senior Beamline Scientist, Beamline I13|
|Salary information||Circa £33k. Circa £42k for appointment at the senior level.|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Beamline I13 is one of the latest beamlines, dedicated to imaging and coherence and will be operational from October 2011. The scientific applications for the two independently operating beamline branches relate to imaging in real (X-ray microscopy; absorption & phase contrast tomography) and reciprocal space (coherent X-ray diffraction imaging). Micro- and nano-structured materials from different scientific fields such as biology, materials science or earth science will be studied in the energy range of 6-30keV. The project is unique in many aspects. The 250m long beamline provides space in large hutches for advanced experimental methods, new electron optics (mini-beta) and X-ray optics have been developed along the project. The beamline team closely partners with Manchester University who co-fund the appointment, providing interesting academic opportunities.
We require a Scientist / Senior Scientist with experience in synchrotron based imaging and tomography. Candidates with experience in neighbouring fields such as electron microscopy, neutron imaging or similar are welcome. The successful candidate will be involved in promoting the beamline’s scientific profile. You will be highly motivated, able to work independently with experience of managing staff.
For appointment at the senior level, you will have significant synchrotron imaging experience.
Working in support of the Principal Beamline Scientist in the following areas:
- Design, procurement, testing, installation and commissioning of beamline instrumentation and sample environment,
- Liaise with the suppliers of the beamline components,
- Assist in the testing, installation and commissioning of the beamline components,
- Support the operation of the beamline and interact closely with the users of this facility,
- Carry out own research in an area relevant to the beamline,
- Publish and communicate scientific results,
- Interact closely with the I13 collaborating university.
Additional duties for appointment at the senior level:
Working within the Beamline team in the following areas:
- Operate the beamline and interact closely with the users of this facility,
- Ensure beamline maintenance and operation.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification,
- Second degree in appropriate subject,
- Relevant synchrotron research experience,
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotrons,
- Experience in imaging/tomography data analyses,
- Experience of beamline instrumentation,
- Notions about coherence, microscopy, imaging or tomography,
- Experience of software packages and programming,
- Project management experience,
- Successful scientific publication record,
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion,
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills,
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels,
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working,
- Self motivated,
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team,
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
For appointment at the senior level, candidates will have significant expertise of synchrotron imaging.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience form relevant fields such as laser physics or electron microscopy,
- Ability to manage a small team,
- Project management experience,
- Experience form relevant fields such as laser physics or electron microscopy.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com