PDRA Beamline I18
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate, Beamline I18|
|Salary information||£28,409 - £39,050; starting salary, dependent on assessment of previous relevant experience and qualifications|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We are looking to appoint a Post Doctoral Research Associate to work on an environmental science research project studying the properties of calcium carbonate granules produced by earthworms and their influence on the geochemical cycling of metals. You will also help to support and develop the I18 microfocus spectroscopy beamline at Diamond. This research project will be undertaken in association with the University of Reading and the Natural History Museum. The beamline focuses the X-ray beam down to a few microns and has the capability to do XRF, X-ray absorption spectroscopy and diffraction on that scale. The beamline has a share of three support labs which include analytical equipment such as micro-FTIR and micro-RAMAN spectrometers.
You should have an appropriate degree and experience in the use of scientific instrumentation and data collection/analysis. Relevant synchrotron research experience and knowledge of x-ray absorption spectroscopy are desirable, as well as experience with Infra-red and Raman spectroscopy.
Work in the I18 team in the following areas:
- carrying out in-house research activities;
- carrying out experiments, analysing data and publication of results;
- maintenance of the beamline during operations;
- development and testing of new equipment and software;
- support of users in performing their experiments at Diamond;
- testing of samples sent to Diamond by users;
- assisting users with data analysis;
- keeping up with latest results and research directions internationally;
- developing experimental and data analysis techniques and implementing them on the beamline.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate First Degree;
- Postgraduate degree;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivated;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Good laboratory research skills;
- Ability to write research papers;
- Ability to plan and then carry out a research project;
- Good Problem solving skills;
- Fault diagnosis abilities.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Relevant synchrotron research experience;
- Experience or knowledge of synchrotrons;
- Experience of beamline instrumentation;
- Knowledge of x-ray absorption spectroscopy techniques;
- Experience with Infra-red and Raman spectroscopy;
- Environmental science research experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com