Unattended Data Collections
Unattended Data Collection (UDC) is a new mode of operation for the MX beamlines and can be used for fast and efficient data collection from 'reasonable-quality' macromolecular crystals whilst you do something more productive with your time. X-ray centring is used to align crystals to the X-ray beam and then data collections are performed based on user-provided diffraction plans.
Main Benefits of UDC
- Rapid scheduling
- No user input required during the beamtime - ship and forget until you get your results back
- Uses standardised data collection protocols which have been optimised for each Diamond beamline
How does UDC work?
- Ensure all samples have been approved in the proposal risk assessment in UAS.
- Decide on the method of screening samples.
- Decide which experiment kind is required.
- Create a shipment, enter sample information and diffraction plan in ISPyB.
- Shelved puck containers are manadatory for Unattended data collection.
- Ship samples to Diamond.
- Once samples arrive, they will be given time on a beamline. The beamtime does not need to be scheduled in advance.
- Data are collected, and you will receive an email to say that the data collections have been completed.
- Request your samples are shipped back.
When to use UDC?
|When to use UDC||When not to use UDC|
|Single crystals||Split crystals, multiple lattices|
Projects requiring data collections from many crystals e.g.
Rapid feedback on a well characterised system from a small number of new crystals
Projects requiring manual input e.g.
Standard SAD phasing experiments
Phasing from limited number of crystals
Complex multicrystal phasing experiments
Energy range: 7-18KeV
Energies outside this range are supported in remote access
Current and future status
It is currently available on I03 and I04 is a key part of providing responsive beamtime allocation.
It will be made available on I04-1 and I24 following further development and testing.
Further options for more complex experiments and broadening the scope of samples that can be collected automatically will be made available.