DIA0527/LV - Director of Finance and Corporate Services
|Job Title||Director of Finance and Corporate Services|
|Division||Finance and Admin|
|Salary information||Competitive package|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is a new scientific facility in
We are jointly funded and owned by the Science and Technology Facilities Council on behalf of the U.K. Government and The Wellcome Trust, Diamond is a new world-class research facility, located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire which is home to several other major research facilities. We own and operate a synchrotron light source with experimental laboratories supporting cutting-edge research in all fields of science. An initial complement of beamlines is now operational and a progressive build-up of further beamlines and additional support laboratories is underway. Our users include both academic and industrial research teams.
We wish to appoint an experienced manager to the post of Finance and Corporate Services Director. This is an exciting opportunity to build on strong foundations and shape the ongoing development of this young organisation which owns and operates one of the country’s leading scientific research facilities.
The Corporate Services Division
The company is governed by a largely Non-Executive Board, but the CEO and CS Director are appointed to that Board, and both also attend the Audit and Risk committee.
Day to day operational management is carried out through a Divisional structure, which is headed up by four Divisional Directors (the Technical Director, the Life Sciences and Physical Sciences Directors and the Director of F&CS) who are brought together in the Executive team which is led by the CEO, and also attended by the CEO’s Executive Assistant and the Head of Finance (who is also the Company Secretary).
At the end of May the staffing profile in the Division comprised:
- 5 Head of Departments
- Business IT and Infrastructure
- Commercial/Office services
- 30 Support staff
A Divisional reporting line organogram as at June 2009 is as follows:
A Divisional reporting line organogram as at June 2009 is as follows:
The role holder will be expected to contribute at Board level as well as at the Executive management level of the company and to provide strategic leadership and management of the assigned functional areas.
The role is by no means confined to the management of these specific functional areas however and the post holder will be expected to contribute in a number of generalist areas as may be necessary from time to time, and some examples of the current range of these activities are given in the section below.
This senior position attracts a competitive salary and pension benefits package; further details will be provided to the successful applicant. Relocation assistance is available.
Duties and Key Accountabilities
- Provide leadership and direction to, and development of, the business support teams, namely: Finance and Procurement, HR, Business IT, Office Services and Commercial/Legal
- Support and advice to the CEO, and Board, including the preparation of papers and presentations
- Organisation of the Audit and Risk Committee (a Board Sub-committee)
- Timely completion of the annual account and reports
- Preparation and presentation of the annual ‘five year plan’ and associated budgets and maintaining overall financial control of the company
- Executive Board membership, contributing towards the development and achievement of the overall strategic goals of the organisation and operational management and reporting
- Representing the company to third parties, including shareholders and other stakeholders as well as professional advisors, auditors, customers, suppliers etc.
- Providing advice and guidance on the identification and management of IP and know-how generated by staff and liaising with appropriate exploitation organisations.
- Promote the company, and its capabilities, to external organisations and businesses
- Initiate, co-ordinate and manage as necessary, company-wide activities such as: Audits and reviews, Risk management, Corporate Governance, Building and site management, Security, Environmental matters, CSR, Energy procurement (including Carbon Reduction Commitment), Business Continuity Planning etc
For example, the current Post holder provides personal leadership and management in areas such as: the OGC Gateway reviews, occasional NAO Audits, annual Internal Audit review, high level Risk management processes and maintaining the Enterprise risk register, Corporate Governance matters such as the Anti-Fraud policy, Building management, Disability Discrimination Act implementation, Site liaison with the site owners and landlords, Legal and lease matters, Security (e.g. Site and Building), the Employees’ Representative Council and Union consultation and negotiation, developing the Environmental agenda and compliance audit, Corporate Social Responsibility, Energy policy and procurement (including the forthcoming Carbon Reduction Commitment), Business Continuity Planning, Shareholder liaison, Site development and Building planning, liaison with the adjoining Research Complex at Harwell management, Facilities Management, Board member of Quantum Detectors Ltd (a subsidiary of the main shareholder), development of the Company’s IP exploitation and management policies.
- Responsible for defining the activities of the division and associated activity
- Establishing evaluation processes and procedures
- Ensuring the operation and delivery of the business support activities across the organisation
- Plan, develop and implement divisional strategy in support of company objectives
- Monitor, measure and report on areas of activity as appropriate
- Manage and develop direct reporting and other staff
- Manage budgets and control divisional expenditure within agreed budgets
- Keep abreast of best practice and provide appropriate guidance
- Ensure compliance with organisational requirements for quality management, health and safety, legal requirements, environmental policies and general duty of care
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of company strategic objectives in co-operation with the executive team
- Contribute to the management of communications and awareness of corporate direction, mission, aims and activities
- Establish an understanding of staff needs and ensure that they are appropriately informed of company objectives, purposes and achievements
The successful candidate will have the following essential qualities:
- Qualified (CCAB or equivalent) accountant with strong general management experience
- Experience in managing teams with an ability to develop potential
- Experience in leading the development and application of policy
- Ability to influence and negotiate at the highest level both internally and externally
- Ability to identify and drive technical and professional developments within the required areas of expertise
- Ability to address a broad range of operational issues
Period of Appointment, Terms and Conditions and Relocation Expenses
A. This is a fixed term appointment for five years in the first instance, which may be renewable.
B. The appointment is subject to the relevant provisions of the Company as specified and will be subject to the satisfactory completion of a medical questionnaire, and the provision of proof of the right to work in the UK.
C. The extent of the Company’s claims to intellectual property and associated issues will be set out in the contract of employment.
D. The post holder is required to abide by the terms and conditions of the Company’s policies and will be required to make a personal declaration on an annual basis about any potential conflict of interest he or she may have within their area of responsibility.
E. The post holder is subject to the normal Company rules on retirement and the normal retirement age is 65.
F. Assistance with removal costs and associated expenses in connection with the move to the area of the successful applicant will be considered. Further details will be made available to the successful applicant.
Equal Opportunities and Data Protection
The policy and practice of Diamond require that all employees are afforded equal opportunities within employment. Subject to statutory provisions, no applicant or employee will be treated less favorably than another because of his or her gender, marital or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, religion or belief, racial group, age, or disability. Entry into employment and progression within employment will be determined only by merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each particular post and the appropriate salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration.
All data supplied by applicants will be used only for the purposes of determining their suitability for the post and will be held in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Company’s Data Protection Policy.
Further Information and Selection Process
For an informal confidential discussion on the role or for further information please contact Ms Karen Habgood, PA to the Chief Executive Officer on 01235 778445 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Written applications, including a curriculum vitae and the details of three referees, should be sent by post to the Head of HR, Diamond Light Source Ltd, Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot OX11 0DE or electronically to email@example.com for receipt no later than 24th July 2009.
The appointment will be made by a Selection panel comprising the Chief Executive Officer, and members of the Remuneration Committee of the Diamond Board of Directors.
The Selection panel will not confine its considerations to those who apply by the closing date. Those other individuals whom the panel may consider will be treated consistently with those who do apply by the closing date, and strictly against the criteria for the appointment.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org