Principal Beamline Scientist Macromolecular Crystallography Beamline I24
|Job Title||Principal Beamline Scientist - Macromolecular Crystallography Beamline I24|
|Salary information||Competitive, commensurate with experience and qualifications|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
I24 is a dedicated tuneable microfocus crystallography beamline that forms part of the suite of beamlines within the macromolecular crystallography village at Diamond where currently 5 beamlines are in operation for the Diamond user community. I24 was the first dedicated tuneable variable microfocus beamline to be delivered to the global MX user community. It has been designed with a endstation with considerable flexibility to allow high-throughput characterisation of microcrystals for data collection and structure solution. The beamline provides for a range of experiments and techniques to be catered for including in situ diffraction, in-line spectroscopy, high acquisition rate room temperature data collection and provision of a variable humidity controlled environment at the sample position.
The Principal Beamline Scientist will take overall responsibility for the operation, maintenance and development of I24 and assist in supporting academic and industrial users who visit the beamline. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an internationally competitive research programme in structural biology that complements the research and development activities within the MX village.
To provide the lead in the management of the operation, maintenance and development of the microfocus beamline I24 and work closely with other scientists within the MX group and the relevant support groups within Diamond. Pursue an internationally competitive research programme to complement the capabilities of the Diamond MX village beamlines.
Take a leading responsibility for the I24 beamline in the following areas:
- Continued commissioning and optimisation of the beamline;
- Operation of the beamline user programme plus assist in coordinating access to the beamline alongside the other MX beamlines;
- Coordination of upgrade and development of instrumentation and software on the beamline;
- Carry out an independent and internationally competitive research programme in an area relevant to the MX beamlines at Diamond.
- Ensure that the beamline and associated facilities continue to meet the scientific requirements as agreed with the user community;
- Budget management;
- Take responsibility for monitoring and reporting of the beamline’s progress, providing regular updates to the Divisional Director and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish and manage the I24 beamline team.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Demonstrated experience in the management of staff;
- Experience with Windows/ Linux/Unix;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Strong leadership ability to ensure the above.
- Ability to effectively manage a team
- Ability to produce effective management project briefings to directors and senior colleagues.
- Establishing budgets and recruitment forecasts.
- Self-motivated, interested in keeping pace with synchrotron crystallographic developments .
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
- Overall experience of techniques and methods relevant to macromolecular microcrystallography.
- Experience in macromolecular structure determination.
- Demonstrated track record in structural biology
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Python and/or Java programming;
- Project management;
- Experience of management techniques for operation of a synchrotron beamline.
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience in beamline optics
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
For an informal discussion about this vacancy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your enquiry will be directed accordingly.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com