Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist
|Job Title||Beamline Scientist / Senior Beamline Scientist in Macromolecular Crystallography|
|Salary information||Circa £33k/ Circa £42k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Diamond is undertaking the construction of a new beamline, VMX, for macromolecular crystallography (MX) as part of its Phase III construction project. The two VMX end-stations will be the state-of-the-art in both in situ screening and data collection and the measurement of diffraction data from micron and submicron sized crystals. The Beamline Scientist will work on the design, construction and operation of the submicron VMXm beamline aimed at delivering a beam size of between 0.5 and 5 microns over a broad energy range. The project faces many scientific and engineering challenges but promises to deliver the most advanced beamline for MX anywhere.
The Beamline Scientist will work closely with the Principal Beamline Scientist in the design, procurement, construction, commissioning and operation of the VMXm beamline, later providing support to academic and industrial users. You will be expected to develop an internationally competitive research programme in methods development or structural biology that complements the research and development activities within the MX village.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working;
- Experience of macromolecular crystallography data collection at a synchrotron;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Substantial postdoctoral or equivalent experience; (Senior level only)
- Demonstrated track record in crystallography or synchrotron radiation related research; (Senior level only)
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Commissioning and operation of macromolecular crystallography x-ray equipment (“home source” or synchrotron beamline);
- Experience with use of X-ray microbeams;
- Beamline instrumentation and optics;
- Project management;
- Python and/or Java programming;
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com