Assistant to Buildings & Services Design Co-ordinator
|Job Title||Assistant to Buildings & Services Design Co-ordinator|
|Salary information||Circa £35k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Duties will include interfacing with in-house staff and external design consultants to assist in the development of detailed designs through to tender stage and contract award. Thereafter supporting the Construction Manager to resolve design queries through the construction stage to project completion. Layout drawings will be prepared using AutoCAD ensuring that structural, architecture, electrical and mechanical services are all co-ordinated to a high degree.
You will possess an HNC or degree in a relevant discipline, have significant experience of co-ordinating design works with a highly creative and dedicated approach. You will be an effective manager, strong team working and communications skills are essential, along side the experience of manufacture, construction, testing and commissioning of systems. Good knowledge of Health and Safety including CDM regulations is highly desirable. A strong working knowledge of engineering drawings and Microsoft Office/Project is essential.
- Assist the Buildings and Services Design Co-ordinator to carry out design co-ordination duties;
- Assist in the initiation of miscellaneous design projects with internal Diamond clients; advising them on the appropriate procurement methods and the expertise required for their projects;
- Liaise with Diamond technical, scientific, planning, procurement and facilities management departments throughout the project life cycle;
- Liaise with the external consultants and facilitate good communication and exchange of information and ideas with the project team;
- Contribute to the setting up and running meetings, preparing and distributing the notes and minutes and reviewing comments;
- Chair co-ordination meetings for small project works or satellite meetings of larger projects;
- Assist in the managing of transfer of design information into and out of Diamond, keeping close control on issue levels;
- Closely monitor the consultants’ design quality progress and general performance;
- Contribute in the preparation of monthly design progress reports;
- Work closely with the construction managers to ensure that all design information is available to the contractor for implementation;
- Participate in contractor feedback meetings and value engineering process;
- Assist in the management of consultancy commercial aspects;
- Contribute to the development of procedures associated with procuring the design of projects, up to the selection of the contractor.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative, paying attention to detail;
- Computer literate and experienced with the Microsoft Office Suite of products;
- Some expertise in either mechanical or electrical services design or management or civil, structural or architectural;
- Ability to chair and control meetings
- Some expertise in the design / management of mechanical or electrical services, civil, structural or architectural design;
- Three years’ relevant experience in the Construction Industry.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Degree/ HND in relevant technical subject;
- ACIBSE or equivalent;
- Experience in delivering multi-disciplined projects;
- Project Management experience, including management of the tender process;
- Competence in AutoCad;
- Compilation of project plans and budget estimates;
- Knowledge of CDM Regulations and designers’ risk assessments, Planning,
- Building Regulations and construction practice;
- Production of building and building services design and procurement specifications.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org