Graduate Mechanical Engineer
|Job Title||Graduate Mechanical Engineer|
|Salary information||£21,904 - £27,678 (depending on skills, qualifications and relevant experience)|
|Date of interviews|
- Assist in the production of specifications, design models, schedules, reports and other documentation for Diamond projects on the beamlines and accelerators.
- Develop expertise in and carry out Finite Element Analysis to calculate static and dynamic stress, strain and thermal response of various systems.
- Produce mechanical design models and some detail drawings for technical systems such as; Precision Motion mechanisms for optical systems, Vacuum vessels, Fabrications for supporting mechanical systems, Beamline and system layouts
- Develop and apply knowledge and understanding in technologies such as :Ultra High Vacuum systems, Precision motion systems, Radiation protection and Personnel safety systems
- Use of Computer Aided Design software packages Pro-E/PDM-Link in 3D and AutoCAD in 2D and ANSYS for FEA
- Assist in procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers.
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises.
- Maintain and update engineering models and drawings and other documentation on projects.
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- A confident communicator both verbal and written
- An effective team member
- Competent in the use of Microsoft office suite
- Ability to propose relevant experiments and analyse data to draw conclusions
- Ability to maintain good records and reliable, comprehensive documentation
- Competence in 3D CAD
- Competence in 2D CAD
- Knowledge and experience in performing FEA
- Producing concepts to address technical challenges
- Some relevant post graduate experience
- Able to read engineering drawings.
- An interest in the challenges of sub-micron positioning and stability
- IMechE accredited First or Upper Second Class BEng (Hons) degree plus appropriate Masters degree or approved Further Learning to Masters level
- IMechE accredited First or Upper Second Class MEng degree
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Competence in programming computerised control of mechanical systems
- Design of scientific equipment
- Experience of precision motion systems
- Experience of Ultra High Vacuum or Cryogenics
- Experience of planning projects
- Registration with IMechE
- Driving Licence
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org