Post Doctoral Research Associate - Macromolecular Crystallography
|Job Title||Post Doctoral Research Associate - Macromolecular Crystallography|
|Salary information||£28,409 - £35,629; starting salary, dependent on assessment of previous relevant experience and qualifications|
|Date of interviews||19/10/2012|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced structural biologist at the Post Doctoral Research Associate level to join a multidisciplinary collaboration formed by groups located at the central laser facility within the Research complex at Harwell, Diamond and the Universities of Strathclyde and Nottingham. The post will be based within the group of Martin Walsh at Diamond.
The aim of the project is to combine X-ray crystallography, time resolved 2D-IR spectroscopy and biochemical techniques to study the structure and function of targeted bacterial sensors of nitric oxide.
The project will involve elements of biochemistry, structural biology and infrared spectroscopy, including time resolved and multidimensional methods. Expertise in all areas is not required, though a strong background in cloning and overproduction of proteins for structural studies is advantageous. The successful candidate will join ongoing collaborative projects in place between Strathclyde, Diamond, Nottingham and the Research Complex at Harwell that aim to investigate the mechanisms of protein systems from a multidisciplinary perspective. Regular interactions with Strathclyde and the Research Complex are envisaged. As such the project will suit an ambitious and motivated candidate with a strong commitment to multidisciplinary research.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• PhD in biochemistry or related disciplines; or equivalent qualification or experience;
• Experience in cloning and recombinant expression of proteins for structural studies;
• Sound understanding of methods, systems and approaches relating to macromolecular crystallography;
• Good laboratory research skills;
• Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
• Good problem solving skills;
• Ability to plan and carry out a research project;
• Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
• Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibility for delivery of work;
• Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
• Expertise in single crystal protein structure solution
• Experience or knowledge of synchrotrons and diffraction experiments;
• Candidates are encouraged to contact Dr. Martin Walsh (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further details on the responsibilities and research associated with the post.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com