|Job Title||Software Engineer|
|Salary information||circa £34K|
|Date of interviews|
- Working with the beamline scientists, the data analysis team, CCP4 group and Diamond users to identify and define requirements for the use of the CCP4 suite and its implementation and development within Diamond.
- Management and implementation of required software including appropriate documentation and project plans for the maintenance, update and release of CCP4 Software Suite by the utilisation of CCP4’s modernised release system (30% of post effort with the CCP4 in the RCaH).
- Responsible for closely working with Diamond data analysis group to enable the integration and the development of CCP4‘s automatic structure solution software for MX data at Diamond especially in the area of WP0 and WP1 of the CCP4 Grant Renewal Proposal.
- Provide technical expertise of software techniques and tools to employ.
- Use scientific and technical knowledge to understand and implement CCP4 software.
- Produce project plans and documentation
- Implement appropriate software testing regimes as part of the development process.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion.
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills
- Enjoys team work.
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with best practise software development techniques.
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems.
- Requires significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field.
- Experience of user driven software development with a particular emphasis on ease of use for challenging tasks.
- Experience of Python programming and other software languages e.g. C++
- Background in using software engineering techniques for software development, distribution and maintenance.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles.
- Available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences.
- Significant experience creating user interfaces using Python, PyQt, C++/Qt or similar programming languages.
- Use of software development frameworks and applications.
- Experience or understanding of crystallography experimentation and data interpretation
- Project management experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org