Scientific Operations Coordinator
|Job Title||Scientific Operations Coordinator|
|Salary information||Competitive, commensurate with experience and qualifications|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
We are seeking to recruit a Scientific Operations Coordinator who will lead the coordination of all matters concerning operations within the Science Division at Diamond Light Source Ltd. The successful candidate will assist and give strategic advice in these matters to the Science Directors and will coordinate the activities of a highly skilled and enthusiastic group of team leaders.
The key duties of the post are to:
- Provide leadership and management in the development of policy for the User Office, the Labs and Services team, Planning and Projects and the Divisional Offices; managing these functions and ensuring their integration, co-ordination and support to scientific provision with other Groups within Science Division.
- Lead and manage the designated teams taking responsibility for their development and for their overall operational effectiveness.
- Provide advice, guidance and support to the Science Directors on scientific and related projects- e.g. collation and storage of information on research and Beamline progress; User Publications database; Statistical Shareholder information etc.
- Plan and oversee the design, procurement, installation, and testing of relevant equipment, software, systems etc relevant to the above areas and co-ordinating its implementation
- Take a leading responsibility for adherence to Health & Safety policies and compliance with legislation for designated areas.
- Lead in the development of new techniques, systems and approaches within designated areas keeping abreast of best practice and scientific developments outside the company.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting of progress, providing in-depth science related papers and presentations internally and to external audiences.
- Chair committees and meetings and management of budgets as assigned.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Proven managerial experience at a senior level in a scientific/technical environment;
- Proven ability to operate at a strategic level ideally in a scientific/research environment;
- Proven ability of dealing with client /user groups;
- Proven IT skills including use of variety of software for data management and, planning projects;
- Proven communication skills: verbal/written
- Proven problem solving and skills
- Understanding of the Scientific environment and ability to deal with complex issues competently;
- Higher degree or equivalent, e.g. PhD or equivalent in a relevant scientific subject
- Experience in leading the development of policy relating to the subject area
- Experience in leading and developing large-scale work or change programmes
- Experience in managing teams with an ability to select and develop highly qualified individuals
- Ability to identify and drive technical, scientific or professional developments within a specific area of expertise
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Detailed knowledge of synchrotron radiation science;
- Experience of working in a research environment;
- Awareness of evolution of Diamond;
- Appreciation of a scientific discipline
- Excellent understanding of the external environment and awareness of best practice/new technologies within the field of expertise
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org