|Division||Finance and Admin|
|Salary information||Circa £26k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We require a Buyer to join our busy procurement team. This role calls for someone with an understanding of purchasing options and strategies to work as a buyer in our procurement team, providing efficient treatment of mid-value (£5,000 - £50,000) orders. A natural influencer, you’ll use your strong communication skills to deal with internal staff as well as to negotiate with suppliers, securing the best value solutions for our organisation. You might have a Public or Private Sector background but either way, you’re as comfortable working in a team as on your own initiative, and have good MS Office skills and experience of an electronic procurement system.
To provide for the efficient and economical treatment of orders and resolve issues arising from them.
- Process purchase requests up to £50k ensuring value for money and compliance with DLS procedures;
- Contribute to the maintenance and development of the eProc system;
- Liaise with suppliers and Diamond staff to discuss issues regarding existing or new purchase orders;
- Undertake tenders as directed by the Senior Buyer ensuring compliance with DLS and EU regulations;
- Work with the Senior Buyer to tender for and develop Agreements to cover various commodity areas at Diamond;
- Engage with Diamond staff before the tender process to understand the procurement needs of the different groups;
- Actively monitor those Agreements to ensure compliance by the suppliers and usage by Diamond staff;
- Support the Tender and Contracts Administrator as required;
- Cover for other team members as required;
- Maintain regular contact with the DLS finance department in order to follow-up any payment queries from suppliers including investigating the reasons for unexpected delivery charges on orders.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Experience using an electronic procurement system;
- Work as a buyer in dynamic environment;
- Ability to negotiate optimum conditions with suppliers;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Self-motivated and able to work on their own initiative;
- Computer literate, particularly in Excel & Word;
- Willing to undertake Procurement training as required.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Purchasing in an organisation subject to European Procurement Regulations.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org