Postdoctoral Research Associate, B07
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate B07|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are currently seeking candidates with experience in soft x-ray techniques for chemical and structural analysis of surfaces such as x-ray absorption or photoemission spectroscopy. Candidates with experience in ambient-pressure spectroscopies are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties to include:
• Day-to-day responsibility for own in-house research programme including the analysis and publication of the results;
• Prepare applications and coordinate experiments at external synchrotron radiation facilities;
• presentation of the in-house research, beamline developments and scientific papers at internal and external meetings and conferences;
• assist with the general commissioning of beamline hardware and the development of data acquisition, visualisation and analysis software;
• assist in maintaining and running the beamline peripheral laboratories.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
• Appropriate first degree;
• Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
• Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
• Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
• Self motivation;
• Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
• Experience or knowledge of polarised soft x-ray techniques.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
• Good organisational and planning skills;
• Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
• Experience or knowledge of other standard surface science techniques (LEED, TPD, STM, etc);
• Good knowledge of general concepts in surface chemistry and heterogeneous catalysis;
• Experience of ultrahigh vacuum methods for surface science studies;
• Experience of sample environment equipment;
• Experience of synchrotrons / x-ray beamlines;
• Experience with Windows;
• Experience with soft x-ray data analysis and Macro programming in environments such as Igor or Origin.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com