Postdoctoral Research Associate, for at-wavelength X-ray metrology
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate, for at-wavelengh X-ray metrology|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
|Date of interviews||11/11/2013|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we host facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
Several fields of sciences these days require diffraction-limited optics, and beam stability at the nanometre scale. These are very demanding tasks and require development of precise, accurate, and repeatable metrology. In this respect, in-situ at-wavelength (i.e. using x-rays) methods are the most suited. At-wavelength (x-ray) metrology methods have been established on B16 - Diamond’s Test beamline. These at-wavelength metrology methods have opened up new possibilities for optics and wavefront characterization.
We require a self motivated candidate to work as a Postdoctoral Research Associate to further develop the methods of at-wavelength metrology, in particular the X-ray Grating Interferometry and the X-ray Speckle based technique. They will be required to work closely with the B16 beamline team and the scientists in the Optics & Metrology group.
- Contribute to the development of at-wavelength metrology instrumentation using innovative concepts;
- Further develop the x-ray speckle based technique and the grating interferometry to use for wavefront characterisation of hard x-ray micro and nano focusing;
- Explore other potential techniques for at-wavelength metrology;
- Characterise and test optics on B16;
- Develop prototype systems for using the at-wavelength metrology methods on other beamlines at Diamond;
- Develop user friendly data analysis software for at-wavelength metrology;
- Present latest results and research in international conferences and workshops;
- Publish work in peer-reviewed journals.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate First Degree;
- Appropriate PhD degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Experience with synchrotron based instrumentation;
- Experience of performing experiments at synchrotron facilities;
- Background in optics, metrology or related research;
- Extensive programming experience in python, C++, Matlab or a similar platform;
- Aptitude to develop data processing techniques;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Strong mathematical background;
- Experience in a related field, such as x-ray imaging or x-ray metrology;
- Capability to implement new metrology techniques using innovative concepts;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com