Postdoctoral Research Associate in Experimental Phasing
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Researcher in Experimental Phasing for macromolecular crystallography|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are looking for a highly motivated researcher to develop tools for automated experiment analysis and phasing of diffraction data sets using strategies intimately coupled with, and providing feedback to, the data collection protocols used. The candidate will work closely with other developers at Diamond. This work will be carried out in collaboration with the MX team at the Soleil synchrotron and as such will involve travel to Soleil 3-4 times a year for meetings and experiments.
The automatic determination of experimental phases is an essential step towards providing users with structural information and provides an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic crystallographer with an interest in methods development.
Duties to include:
- Working closely with project leader, software teams and beamline staff to develop new approaches to MX experimental phasing analysis;
- Conduct scientific research and development into crystallographic methods under the guidance of the project leader;
- Publish and present research at conferences both in UK and abroad;
- Support users by providing advice and guidance on the best approach to experiments, data analysis and research techniques
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate degree or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and presentational skills;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours;
- Self motivation;
- Be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Good working knowledge of scientific programming;
- Experience in macromolecular crystallography data collection and analysis;
- Experience in programming in a high level language (e.g. Python)
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of contributing in a major way to a successful scientific software project;
- Experience in providing expert support to end-users;
- Experience in advanced programming techniques.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com