DIA0505/SB - Software Engineer,e-Science/GRID techniques
|Job Title||Software Engineer,e-Science/GRID techniques|
|Salary information||Circa £32k (based on experience and qualifications; higher is available for an exceptionally experienced and qualified candidate).|
|Date of interviews||//|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
To support and enhance software for e-Science and GRID integration.
The role holder will work with the Data Acquisition and Scientific Computing and Computer administration teams at Diamond to ensure appropriate exploitation of e-Science and GRID technologies.
- Principal interface with e-Science groups within STFC and the rest of the UK;
- Working with the beamline scientists, DASC and possibly theory groups to implement data analysis pipelines such as for tomography and theoretical simulations;
- Optimizing and supporting metadata capture and data migration for Diamond beamlines to central repositories;
- Writing and implementation of software for flexible remote access to Diamond resources and to exploit analysis software already deployed;
- Writing and implementation of software to allow for GRID integration with our current Data Acquisition systems;
- Writing and implementation of software to ensure GRID/e-Science compatibility with our current information systems;
- Deliver specialised work either as part of a project team or a specialist department to support broader departmental goals;
- Use technical or professional knowledge to identify opportunities for technical or process improvement;
- Undertake research or development work within parameters determined by more senior roles, and with regular review of progress;
- Provide a technical advisory/support function within area of expertise to other departments or division.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification;
- Second degree in a scientific discipline preferred;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Good team working skills;
- Self motivated, interested in keeping pace with software testing best practises;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Experience of GRID technologies such as the Globus toolkit;
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Experience of World Wide Web technologies;
- Background in using software engineering techniques for development.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles;
- Available to travel occasionally in the UK and overseas including overnight absences;
- Experience of UNIX-like operating systems and their administration;
- Experience of modern programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and Python;
- Project management experience.
Available to travel occasionally in the UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org