DIA0499/TH - Personnel Safety Systems Engineer
|Job Title||Personnel Safety Systems Engineer|
|Salary information||£27,000 - £37,000. Depending on skills, qualifications and experience.|
|Date of interviews||07/05/2009|
Diamond Light Source is a new synchrotron and a leading scientific facility of its type in the world. Located on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in South Oxfordshire, we host research facilities supporting cutting edge research in all fields of science.
The Diamond facility will contain hazards which will be controlled using an electronic system known as the personnel safety system (PSS). The personnel safety system will prevent personnel access to areas of the accelerators when the hazards are present. The reliability of the system is therefore critical, and for that reason, the system utilises high integrity design and fault analysis techniques to ensure that personnel are protected at all times.
There is a requirement for an electrical engineer to support the design, development and operation of the personnel safety system. The position will report to the Principal Personnel Safety Systems Engineer, within the Control Systems group.
- Support the design of Personnel Safety Systems including application of routine design elements;
- Support installation of Personnel Safety Systems including directing contractors;
- Management of the production of PSS hardware by external suppliers;
- Managing and undertakings periodic testing of Personnel Safety Systems;
- Commissioning new Personnel Safety Systems;
- Preparation of test schedules;
- Recording and analysis of operational statistics to validate design models;
- Report on progress in all areas on a periodic basis;
- Development of test equipment;
- Supervision of contractors and installation work.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com