|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
Beamline I16 (Materials & Magnetism) has been operational for five years and provides a World-class single crystal diffraction facility that is optimised for resonant and magnetic x-ray scattering in the 3-15 keV energy range. It provides variable photon polarization, a six-circle kappa diffractometer and a range of sample environments and advanced detectors, to support a vibrant UK and international research community and in-house team, focusing on electronic ordering in materials that are of topical interest in condensed matter physics.
Two posts are currently available. The first is to carry out experiments on the beamline, and subsequent data analysis, in the field of frustrated magnetism and multiferroic materials. The second post is to develop software for data analysis and modelling of resonant and magnetic scattering.
• Day-to-day responsibility for the in-house research programme including the analysis and publication of the results;
• testing and commissioning of a range of sample environment equipment;
• support of relevant research projects of the users, who will come from a diverse scientific background;
• presentation of the in-house research, beamline developments and scientific papers at meetings and conferences;
• assist with the general commissioning of beamline hardware and the development of data acquisition, visualisation and analysis software;
• assist the beamline staff in maintaining and running the beamline peripheral laboratories.
• Develop and document an agreed set of physical definitions
• Develop and test Python code based on these definitions using professional coding practices and standards
• Work closely with beamline staff and users to ensure that the codes produced are appropriate for modelling data from the beamline
• Work closely with DLS Scientific Software and Data Acquisition groups to ensure that code is developed, maintained and documented using Diamond systems.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Skilled in computer programming, ideally Python;
- Proven track record in advanced data analysis;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Good knowledge of x-ray diffraction and crystallography;
- Good knowledge of condensed matter physics, including magnetism;
- Experience with synchrotron-based techniques and instrumentation;
- Experience of programming;
- Appropriate first degree;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Experience of sample environment equipment
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org