Principal Beamline Scientist
|Job Title||Principal Beamline Scientist|
|Salary information||Circa £47k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are seeking a Principal Beamline Scientist of international stature to lead the Diamond I15 Extreme Conditions Beamline and I15-1 X-Ray Pair Distribution Function, a beamline to be built for the study of x-ray pair distributions. The person appointed will lead a group which provides a high quality user support programme and also will be expected to undertake a world-class research programme of extreme conditions research at the Diamond Light Source and other international facilities.
I15 offers a wide range of techniques based around the diamond-anvil cell and there are active developments in the areas of high-pressure single-crystal diffraction, low-temperature diffraction and detector implementations. Large-volume methods are also planned in future. I15 will offer a wide range of on- and off-line laser facilities to complement diffraction techniques at high pressure.
To operate and maintain I15 as a world leading beamline for studies under extreme conditions. To design, build and optimise the I15-1 Phase III XPDF beamline within the I15 beamline footprint within minimum disruption to the I15 beamline and XPDF studies. Pursue an internationally competitive research programme in a subject related to extreme conditions.
- Responsibility for continued efficient operation of the I15 beamline for users;
- Take overall responsibility for delivering the I15-1 XPDF beamline within the planned cost, capability and timescale;
- Responsibility for detailed development of the specification for the overall I15 layout and equipment required including detectors, the experimental hutch, optics hutch and front end;
- Responsibility for ongoing development of appropriate support laboratories and utilisation of peripheral space;
- Establish and manage the beamline team of staff for I15 and I15-1;
- Encourage users from new areas of science;
- Ensure that the beamline and associated facilities continue to meet the scientific requirements as agreed with the user community;
- Establish a world leading user research programme on all instruments within the I15 footprint;
- Undertake research in your own area;
- Plan future beamline development.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate first degree or equivalent qualification;
- Second degree in appropriate subject;
- Relevant synchrotron research experience;
- Experience in hard x-ray methods for extreme conditions research and structural analysis techniques;
- Significant experience of beamline design;
- Ability to manage a small team;
- A proven track record of research in the appropriate field of synchrotron radiation science related to the beamline;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Self motivated;
- Must be available to travel occasionally in UK and overseas including overnight absences, as required.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Project management experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com