Nano Positioning Specialist
|Job Title||Nano Positioning Specialist|
|Salary information||Circa £33k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
We are eager for a skilled specialist to join our team, and work in the Optics & Metrology laboratories. The successful candidate will help to establish and optimise a world-class, nano-instrumentation laboratory and associated metrology instruments. They will work in collaboration with scientists and technicians at Diamond to acceptance test, align and optimise a wide range of ultra-precision mechanical and computer controlled components, including linear and rotation stages.
- Operate computer controlled, metrology instruments to characterise the linear, angular and vibrational behaviour of ultra-precision, motion stages. This includes but is not limited to, interferometers, contact probes, capacitive sensors, autocollimators, inclinometers and autolevels;
- Develop and maintain expertise in nano positioning devices and metrology instruments and provide state- of- the-art solutions to Diamond scientists;
- Plan measurement strategies with metrology instuments, taking data, analysing it and presenting this information in a meaningful way to scientists, engineers and manufacturers;
- Liaise with scientists, engineers and manufacturers to procure micro- and nano positioning stages as well as represent Diamond at acceptance tests at the manufacturer's premises;
- If required, supervise and co-ordinate a small team of junior technical staff to ensure outputs are delivered on time and to a high quality;
- Develop environmental controls to monitor and minimise a range of disturbances including temperature, airflows and vibrations, neccessary to investigate nanotechnology.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Appropriate University degree, or equivalent qualification and experience;
- Significant experience in the use of nano-positioning or metrology instruments;
- Technical aptitude to operate computer controlled instruments and proficiency in the handling of delicate and intricate instruments;
- Good IT skills and data analysis skills;
- Familiarity using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work;
- Efficient time management, scheduling skills and ability to prioritise;
- Ability to analyse and communicate complex information to technical and non technical audiences via coherant reports and presentations;
- Ability to work on own initiative and take personal responsibilty for delivery of work;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Must be able to work flexibly with occasional weekend or out of hours working and to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of working in a high precision metrology lab or in nano positioning;
- Experience in using Windows/ Linux/ Unix and the ability to create simple software scripts in (Labview, Matlab and Excel) to automate and synchronise the collection and analysis of experimental data;
- Design and build simple engineering jigs.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org