Post Doctoral Research Associate
|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate - Fabrication of Diamond X-Ray Lenses|
|Salary information||Circa £28k|
|Date of interviews|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located at Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire, we enable world-leading research across a wide range of scientific disciplines and industrial applications.
The successful exploitation of the intense, brilliant and coherent light from Diamond will depend to a significant extent on the quality and performance of the monochromators, mirrors and detectors employed in the beamlines. The Optics and Metrology Group supports various beamlines in a number of areas including optical beamline design, acceptance and measurement of beamline optics, development and characterisation of specialised optics etc.
Diamond Light Source Ltd. wishes to appoint a Post-doctoral Research Associate to support the optics group scientists in the fabrication of focusing optics made of diamond. The position is funded by a STFC Facility Development Grant that will allow conducting research into micro-fabrication of refractive optics.
Within the project, we plan to fabricate, test and eventually produce a working prototype of the refractive focusing lens system that would focus the high intensity monochromatic synchrotron beams to nano-sizes without loss of brilliance. This lens system would thus enable probing samples at nano-scales from virtually any sciences – from biomedical, environmental to material sciences. Therefore the offered position is ideally suited for a post-doctoral scientist willing to contribute to the development of new optics using micro-fabrication techniques and diamond deposition methods. The ideal candidate will have experience with micro-wave plasma deposition methods for fabrication of CVD diamond structures.
- To liaise with micro-fabrication laboratories and with the “Diamond Group” at the Chemistry Department of Bristol University for the fabrication of high aspect ratio structures made of diamond;
- To lead research on diamond deposition process and characterisation to obtain x-ray lenses;
- To work closely and interact successfully with Diamond scientists and external partners towards the success of the project.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- PhD in physics, material science or related disciplines; or equivalent qualification or experience;
- Experience in micro-wave plasma deposition methods for fabrication of CVD diamond;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Self motivation.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Knowledge of x-ray material properties;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Experience of project management.
Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com