Preparing for Beamtime
To be able to use your beamtime, a few things need to be done beforehand.
UAS (User Admininstration System)
- Make sure your PI has completed the safety paperwork in UAS.
- Make sure you are a registered user (with FedID and password). Please check that you are fully registered and complete any missing information.
- Ensure that you have been added to the session and check travel and accommodation.
- Ensure that investigators coming to Diamond have completed the online safety training within UAS, and follow any further advice from the User office.
Samples and experiment
- Talk to your local contact to discuss any experiment requirements.
- Prepare your samples in SPINE pins, Unipucks or the correct type of SBS plate.
Time Line for MX Experiments at Diamond Light Source
|3-6 months before||PI||Registers samples as part of beamtime application.||
|> 2weeks before||PI||
Registers users and any extra samples
cancel shift if you can’t use it.
email email@example.com for cancellation
|> 1 week before||Users||Check necessary requirements all in place to conduct experiment and test connection to nx.diamond.ac.uk.||Remote Access|
|> 4 days before||Users||Prepare shipping dewar including shipping information in ISPyB and prints labels. Use matched number Unipuck bases and lids.||
|> 3 working days before||Users||Ship ISPyB labelled dewars to Diamond including return label with shipment.||
|> 1 day before||Users||Should have received notification of arrival of dewar at Diamond. If no notification check dewar tracking with courier and ISPyB.||http://ispyb.diamond.ac.uk|
|> 1 day before||Users||Upload samples in ISPyB.||
> 1 day before
|Users||Browse MX website and check the beamline page. If any questions call or e-mail your local contact (LC).||
|> 1 hour before||Users||Login using No Machine (NX).||Remote Access|
|< 2 - 0 hours||LC/EHC||Will contact user to inform beamline available.||GDA messenger/ Email to user|
|0 - 8 hours||Users||
If you finish early, call LC/EHC.
01235 778787(EHC) or contact number LC provided you with
|8 hours||Users||Complete experiments, unload last sample and make hutch safe.|
|> 8 hours||Users/LC/EHC||Remove samples and put in storage dewar and attach included return label for return shipment.|
|Prior to and up to 1 day after||Users||Request dewar back.||Shipping Your Dewar Home|
|> 1 day||Diamond Stores||Dewar collected by shipping company.|
|> 1 day||Users||Complete feedback form sent by the User office.||UAS|
|> 2 days||Users||Dewar received|
|> 2 days||Users||If eligilble claim appropriate academic use costs from diamond|