Beamline Phone Number:
+44 (0) 1235 778712
Principal Beamline Scientist:
Tel: +44 (0) 1235 778600
Tel: +44 (0) 1235 778158
I18 uses a 27mm-period undulator to give a bright energy-tuneable X-ray microbeam with an accessible energy range from 2.0 to 20.7keV. The beamline is optimized to perform micro-X-ray fluorescence (XRF) mapping studies, micro-X-ray absorption spectroscopy and micro-X-ray diffraction. Microfocus spectroscopy is highly important for the analysis of heterogeneous materials in all fields of science in microscopic detail.
Suitable for experiments requiring:
· Soft to hard-energy X-rays
· Beam size down to 2 µm x 2.5 µm.
· Time-resolved in situ measurements
· Monochromatic and tuneable X-ray source
· Fluorescence and diffraction techniques, including their combination during one experiment
· A range of unique sample environments provided by users (please discuss with beamline staff)
We are able to perform a range of experimental techniques on the micrometre scale:
· XRF tomography (time-resolved & static)
· Powder diffraction (time-resolved & static)
· XAS & XRF (time-resolved & static)
· XRF and powder diffraction mapping
I18 has been utilised for a large range of scientific studies including:
· Geochemistry and space minerology
· Biochemistry in Tumour and Cancer treatment
· Analysis of agrochemicals
· Environmental and heritage research
· Catalysis structure and mechanistic pathways
· Ultrafast pump-probe XAS
Also available are a range of sample environments for users experiments:
· Small and large sample stages
· Sample heating (25 oC – 1400 oC)
· Helium enclosure
· In–situ Raman
· Electron yield cell
· He/N2 cryostat (>10 K)
· Laser interlock
I18 can accommodate a range of complex sample environments which the users can bring and install for their beamtime.
More information about the beamline has been published:
J. Frederick W. Mosselmans, Paul D. Quinn, Andrew J. Dent et al., Journal of Synchrotron Radiation. 2009, 16, 818-824 (link).
Diamond Light Source is the UK's national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire.
Copyright © 2022 Diamond Light Source
Diamond Light Source Ltd
Harwell Science & Innovation Campus
Diamond Light Source® and the Diamond logo are registered trademarks of Diamond Light Source Ltd
Registered in England and Wales at Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0DE, United Kingdom. Company number: 4375679. VAT number: 287 461 957. Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number: GB287461957003.