Explore Diamond by using our interactive map and discover the synchrotron, beamlines and much more.
For a more in depth insight, visit our Virtual Visit page where you can watch an ‘Introduction to Diamond’, take a tour of the facility and submit your questions to our experts.
Diamond is a world-leading centre for synchrotron science, driving and supporting science at UK universities and research institutes. As a cornerstone of a world-class site for scientific discovery and innovation at Harwell, Diamond is regarded as internationally excellent, enabling essential research and development for UK industry.
1. To deliver internationally-leading synchrotron research and innovation
- Provide a highly reliable, high performance source of X-rays, ultraviolet and infrared light.
- Offer world leading beamlines and analytical tools.
- Provide exemplary technical and scientific support for experiments.
- Administer world leading data handling and analysis.
- Recruit and retain the best talent.
- Maintain world leading technology to underpin our science delivery.
2. To maximise the scientific, economic and societal impact of Diamond
- Attract and support the very best research groups in universities and institutes.
- Drive even stronger engagement and support for UK industry.
- Work in partnership with other organisations to help realise the full potential of the
- Build stronger collaborations at European and international levels.
- Ensure the widest possible dissemination of Diamond’s scientific output.
3. To ensure the long-term sustainability of Diamond as a national facility
- Deliver value for money in all aspects of our operations.
- Engage effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Identify and access new income streams.
- Maintain operational infrastructure that is efficient and resilient.
- Ensure governance is fully transparent.
- Maintain health and safety at the forefront of operations.
4. To engage and inspire the general public through promoting science
- Strengthen educational activities for students at all levels.
- Put public engagement and communications at the heart of the facility.
- Champion the importance of STEM skills at all levels.
- Increase exploitation of opportunities to disseminate science at a global level.
- Ensure there is effective two-way communication at all levels of the organisation.
5. To continuously plan for Diamond’s technical and scientific future
- Ensure there is a clear planning cycle for delivery of activities.
- Adapt the operating model to changing requirements.
- Support the joint venture of the Harwell Campus.
View the full 10-Year Vision strategy document here.
Diamond Light Source is the UK's national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire.
Copyright © 2022 Diamond Light Source
Diamond Light Source Ltd
Harwell Science & Innovation Campus
Diamond Light Source® and the Diamond logo are registered trademarks of Diamond Light Source Ltd
Registered in England and Wales at Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0DE, United Kingdom. Company number: 4375679. VAT number: 287 461 957. Economic Operators Registration and Identification (EORI) number: GB287461957003.