Diamond is a world-leading centre for synchrotron science, driving and supporting science at UK universities and research institutes. As a cornerstone of a world-class site for scientific discovery and innovation at Harwell, Diamond is regarded as internationally excellent, enabling essential research and development for UK industry.
1. To deliver internationally-leading synchrotron research and innovation
- Provide a highly reliable, high performance source of X-rays, ultraviolet and infrared light.
- Offer world leading beamlines and analytical tools.
- Provide exemplary technical and scientific support for experiments.
- Administer world leading data handling and analysis.
- Recruit and retain the best talent.
- Maintain world leading technology to underpin our science delivery.
2. To maximise the scientific, economic and societal impact of Diamond
- Attract and support the very best research groups in universities and institutes.
- Drive even stronger engagement and support for UK industry.
- Work in partnership with other organisations to help realise the full potential of the
- Build stronger collaborations at the European and international levels.
- Ensure the widest possible dissemination of Diamond’s scientific output.
3. To ensure the long-term sustainability of Diamond as a national facility
- Deliver value for money in all aspects of our operations.
- Engage effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
- Identify and access new income streams.
- Maintain operational infrastructure that is efficient and resilient.
- Ensure governance is fully transparent.
- Maintain health and safety at the forefront of operations.
4. To engage and inspire the general public through promoting science
- Strengthen educational activities for students at all levels.
- Put public engagement and communications at the heart of the facility.
- Champion the importance of STEM skills at all levels.
- Increase exploitation of opportunities to disseminate science at a global level.
- Ensure there is effective two-way communication at all levels of the organisation.
5. To continuously plan for Diamond’s technical and scientific future
- Ensure there is a clear planning cycle for delivery of activities.
- Adapt the operating model to changing requirements.
- Support the joint venture of the Harwell Campus.
View the full 10-Year Vision strategy document here.
Diamond Light Source is the UK's national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire.
Copyright © 2018 Diamond Light Source
Diamond Light Source Ltd
Harwell Science & Innovation Campus