|Job Title||Support Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £21,000|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
To provide technical support to the team responsible for the Installation, Operation and Maintenance of the Diamond building and engineering systems.
- To provide technical support to IFM technicians in the maintenance, repair, adaptation and improvement of the mechanical and electrical systems;
- To undertake project work as skills permit e.g. drilling holes and positioning equipment, removal and reinstatement of shielding materials, basic pipe work assembly, systems flushing & drainage activities, etc.;
- To undertake basic external & internal building fabric maintenance e.g. unblocking above ground drainage pipes and gutter inspections/cleaning;
- To operate mobile elevated working platforms and to assemble and use other types of high level access equipment under own initiative;
- To undertake Portable Appliance Testing of electrical hand tools and associated record keeping;
- To erect and dismantle various types of safety barriers;
- To provide support to other Diamond technical staff, external contractors and service engineers with the completion of tasks;
- To liaise with DLS Stores for collection and distribution of deliveries and to assist with group stores stock management;
- To undertake materials transportation, which will include mechanical and electrical components, floor coverings, etc.;
- To undertake minor cleaning and spillage control as required;
- To participate in Health & Safety and Quality Assurance procedures as appropriate to the post.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Self motivated;
- Able to get on with people at all levels;
- Effective team worker;
- Flexible approach to the working conditions and environment.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Work planning and organisational skills;
- Computer literate;
- Familiar with process & chilled water systems;
- Familiar with LTHW/MTHW/Compressed air systems;
- Familiar with HVAC systems;
- Familiar with drainage/vacuum drainage systems;
- Familiar with HSE legislation;
- Prepared to learn new skills.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com