Software Engineer, Web Application
|Job Title||Software Engineer, Web Application|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
To work within the User Administration System team on the full lifecycle development of the software needed to enable effective user administration at Diamond.
- Consult with system users and analyse their requirements, and make suggestions for simple improvements to the system.
- Design, code and test enterprise software to meet supplied specifications, providing estimates of own tasks.
- Support live systems, investigating and resolving straightforward incidents, interacting with staff and external users.
- Resolve reported faults in the system, and communicate with testers.
- Document all work, including instructions on how to build and deploy software.
- Peer review other team members’ work.
- Produce and maintain documentation describing system operation for its users, and advise them in system use.
- Develop and maintain expertise in software development tools and techniques, and advise team how they might be used.
Because of the changing nature of our business your job description will inevitably change. You will, from time to time, be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities as directed by management.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Java development experience;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability to interact effectively with staff at all levels to collect feedback and isolate new requirements;
- Work in a team environment to established operational principles such as “Agile”;
- Experience of Web Front and Middleware development technologies such as GWT, Spring and Hibernate;
- Knowledge of code development platforms such as Eclipse and/or Netbeans;
- Experience of interaction with databases;
- Experience of full cycle application development including unit testing, code repositories and deployment;
- Willing and able to perform support activities when necessary;
- Experience of UNIX-like and Windows operating systems.
Must be able to travel occasionally within the UK and overseas including overnight absences.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org