Assistant Systems Administrator
|Job Title||Assistant Systems Administrator|
|Post Type||Full-time / Permanent|
|Salary information||Circa £26,000|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
You will be working within the largest UK scientific facility and at the cutting edge of science research. The Science Computing team is a tightly knit group of enthusiastic problem solvers dedicated to enabling the highest quality science. To do this you will have access to best computer, storage and networking hardware and the support of an experienced sysadmin team.
This is an exciting role with good career prospects. You will be working in the Science Computing team, supporting the infrastructure and services and enabling cutting edge research.
To assist in the installation, commissioning and support of computer systems required for the operation of Diamond Light Source beamlines.
Duties of the role include:
- Assisting in the support of the operational of scientific computer systems;
- Manage queries raised through the Diamond IT issue tracking system;
- Installation of new computer systems, including racking, cabling, software installation and configuration;
- Assisting in Computer systems administration tasks associated with the scientific computing systems;
- Assisting in the development and deployment of software tools to support system administration;
- Liaise with suppliers on the provision of services and, the coordination and supervision of installation by external companies;
- Maintenance and regular update of documentation;
- Assist with the preparation of Health & Safety risk assessments.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- HNC/HND in relevant subject
- Ability to take on a given task and complete to an agreed schedule;
- Ability to interact effectively with customers;
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written;
- Ability to solve technical problems, evaluate alternative courses of action, innovate where necessary and document solutions;
- Demonstrate good organisational skills;
- Demonstrate ability to work alone and as part of a team;
- Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces;
- Experience of Linux operating systems and their administration;
- Understanding of basic computer hardware;
- Understanding of basic network applications, and how they work;
- Understanding of basic electrical systems;
- Be willing to work occasional shifts during commissioning and later operations;
- Be prepared to undertake further training.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Demonstrate a willingness to take responsibility and ownership of problems;
- Experience of the remote administration of computer infrastructure;
- Experience of working with scientists in a scientific facility;
- Understanding of networking protocols and network implementation;
- Completion of a recognized Unix Systems Administration certification.
Diamond Light Source:
- is an equal opportunities employer;
- offers a competitive salary and generous pension scheme;
- encourages career development and training;
- provides easy access to extra-curricular activities such as clubs, sports and lectures;
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com