|Job Title||Contracts/Legal Officer|
|Post Type||Permanent/Full time|
|Division||Finance and Corporate Services|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
We require a Legal Officer to assist our Commercial Office in providing key professional services and dealing with an expanding workload. If you are an organised and confident self-starter and have the ability to assist with the management and administration of a broad range of contracts and arising legal matters, then you could be the person to make an important contribution to the future success of our science and technology-based organisation.
- Draft, review, negotiate and maintain new and existing contracts, engaging with relevant members of Diamond staff as necessary in order to deliver effective legal support.
- Keep comprehensive records of each stage of contract negotiations, maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of all matters being dealt with so that there is a clear audit trail on each file.
- Provide legal and contract support and advice, taking into account benefits to Diamond and its stakeholders and any associated risks, in order to pursue Diamond’s objectives and protect Diamond’s interests.
- Draft final legal briefing notes for colleagues, setting out key terms and conditions, key benefits and any risks or issues, in order to maximise benefit to Diamond and its stakeholders and minimise risk to Diamond.
- Research and seek necessary technical advice on a variety of legal issues (e.g. commercial contract, intellectual property, compliance), working with external legal support to meet the needs of particular negotiations/matters as may be necessary.
- Assist with the drafting and review of template agreements in order to improve efficiencies.
- Liaise and negotiate with internal and external parties as necessary, building good working relationships.
- Proactively arrange and action review meetings and workload reviews in order to ensure the delivery of efficient legal support.
- Work collaboratively across the organisation, liaising with other groups and divisions within Diamond to support legal relationships with third parties.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Degree qualified with a post graduate qualification in the legal field (such as a commercially focused Legal Practice Course or LLM or equivalent) and a qualified lawyer (solicitor / barrister), and/or previous experience in a similar role with broad and demonstrable experience of drafting and negotiating contracts to a high standard;
- Ability to work on own initiative but also an effective team worker;
- Self-motivated with a positive approach and aptitude for problem solving;
- Displays enthusiasm and interest to effectively extract and contextualise the relevant information required in order to take control of the process;
- An ability to analyse, interpret and respond effectively to detailed written documentation;
- An organised, level headed but flexible approach to working to deadlines under pressure;
- Ability to communicate very effectively, within a science and technical environment, at all levels of seniority, in writing and orally in English to a very high standard and to present a coherent argument;
- Proven ability to prioritise a heavy and varied workload and to keep track of a large volume of ongoing projects;
- An ability to work effectively in the specialist area but contribute as part of a wider group of individuals providing support services to the organisation;
- Rigorous administration skills with good attention to detail;
- A substantial amount of relevant experience or a qualified lawyer with relevant experience;
- Maintained knowledge of English Law;
- A broad and demonstrable knowledge and working experience of drafting contracts to a high standard;
- A first-rate and demonstrable knowledge and understanding of relevant legal principles applicable to the role;
- Knowledge and experience in the administration of legal agreements;
- A good practical understanding of the legal aspects of the business and/or science environment;
- Sound IT skills are required, and the successful applicant will be fully conversant and proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, including all general formatting and electronic annotation (e.g. track changes);
- Experience using legal research resources such as Practical Law Company;
- Knowledge of Higher Education administration, including an understanding of research grant funding in UK universities.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience of managing and administering intellectual property;
- Experience of working with budgetary information;
- An interest and awareness in the role that scientific innovation can play within a progressive economy.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com