Senior Electrical Technician
|Job Title||Senior Electrical Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
Diamond’s electrical infrastructure consists of the High and Low Voltage networks, (11kV, 3.3kV and 400V) for which the power is distributed through Switchboards, Motor Control Centers, (MCC) and distribution boards to supply all aspects of Diamond’s load from essential and critical circuits to general services lighting and small power. A high stability and reliability are essential for the continued operation of the facility.
Diamond is now seeking a member of staff who will work within the Installation and Facilities Management team in the electrical section to provide continued support to the existing electrical infrastructure and new installations.
As a Senior Electrical Technician you will help support the electrical infrastructure and play a key role with the interfacing to the mechanical systems within the Group. You will have gained knowledge on MCC, inverter drives and soft starters and the ability to analyse faults to use this information to improve the reliability and robustness of the infrastructure.
You will have a diverse range of electrical experience covering aspects of the HV and LV networks allowing you to work or supervise others to work on these systems.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Provide fault diagnosis, problem solving and acquire a strong understanding of the electrical infrastructure systems which shall include:
- Electrical 11kV & 3.3kV High Voltage Network;
- Electrical HV & LV Metering and Protection Relays;
- Electrical LV Distribution including MCC operation and maintenance;
- Lighting & Emergency Lighting Systems;
- Earthing and Lightning Protection System;
- UPS and Standby Diesel generator systems;
- Fire Alarm & PA/VA System including smoke control systems;
- Monitoring and control relays and their associated control circuits.
- LV 5-yearly Test and Inspection in line with Diamonds policies to comply with current Regulations and Statutory Authorities;
- Will be (or will become through training) a HV Senior Authorised Person to prepare and execute HV switching operations / isolations, Certificate of Isolations (CoI) and Sanction For Tests (SFT) to allow safe working on Diamond’s HV network;
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the interface between the electrical network and the mechanical Motor Control Centres (MCC) and involved in the set up / programming of motor starters / variable speed inverter drives. Participate in planned activities allowing as minimal disruption as possible to the mechanical services while working on the electrical network;
- Knowledge and understanding of the electrical aspects within the Building Management System (BMS), in particular the; fault alarms, trending and to allow detailed reporting and data collection;
- Supervision of agency teams to progress work activities either new install or modification to existing infrastructure or test and inspection as required;
- Undertake Electrical monitoring and testing activities, as either as an aid to fault diagnosis, harmonic monitoring or as required by the Statutory Authorities as required;
- To supervise and liaise with external consultants, contractors, service engineers and suppliers. This may include supervision of “design and build” contracts including witnessing of tests;
- Review specifications and drawings relevant to the electrical infrastructure for new / future projects and continued updating of all O&M documentation and drawings;
- Participation in Health and Safety procedures and Diamond’s Safe System of Work, authorising electrical permits, carry out / review risk assessments and write method statements;
- To ensure all works comply with the Construction Design Management Regulations, (CDM) and to propagate good safety management within CDM and non CDM projects;
- The supervision and assistance with operation and maintenance of the facilities plant;
- To participate in both the ‘on-call’ and minimum cover for the IFM electrical team.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- BS7671 Wiring Regulations Qualification or equivalent knowledge;
- The Applicant should have served a recognised Apprenticeship in an Engineering discipline, and to have gained a minimum of HNC qualification. Applicants with relevant or equivalent on-the job experience will also be considered;
- City & Guilds 2391 Electrical Test & Inspection;
- Computer literate;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Work planning and organisational skills;
- Good communication skills: verbal/written;
- Supervision of other staff;
- Able to organise and prioritise tasks to meet project timescales. (Project planning);
- Experience with HV & LV Electrical systems;
- HV Authorised;
- LV Testing and Inspection experience;
- Electrical cabling to 17th Edition Wiring Regs.;
- Familiarity with using Safe Systems of work, permits, risk assessments, etc.;
- Proven record of supervising other people;
- Effective team worker and self-motivated;
- Flexible approach to the working conditions and environment;
- Prepared to learn new skills;
- Able to get on with people at all levels.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- JiB Approved Technician;
- Senior Authorised Person;
- Experience of HSE & CDM legislation;
- Specifying and working to electrical installation contracts;
- Knowledge of motor starters and variable speed inverter drives.
- The job may require some travel;
- May involve’ being on call’;
- To undertake other related duties to meet the needs of the Diamond IFM Group.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org