|Job Title||Laboratory Technician|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||£19,776 to £23,265 (Discretionary range to £26,755)|
Diamond Light Source Ltd is seeking to recruit a Laboratory Technician with a background in chemistry. The main duties will be to provide laboratory support to scientists, visitors and users of the Diamond machine and peripheral laboratories. You will be expected to assist with the setting up and running of a variety of laboratory equipment. Ideally you will have familiarity of the use and disposal of hazardous chemicals in accordance with C.O.S.H.H.
Successful candidates will have familiarity of a laboratory environment and preferably knowledge in handling hazardous chemicals and specialist gases. Use and maintenance of general laboratory equipment would be an advantage although training and development opportunities will be provided.
You should be highly motivated and able to work under your own initiative. Good communication skills and experience of working in a multi-discipline environment with scientists are essential. There is a strong emphasis on Health and Safety so familiarity of risk assessments and legislation would be desirable but not essential.
To provide support to scientists, visitors and Users of the Diamond Laboratories.
- To provide general laboratory support to scientists, visitors and Users within the Diamond laboratories;
- Assist in the setting up and running of instrumentation and laboratory equipment and the maintenance and safe operation of the laboratories;
- Ensure that the laboratories are stocked with consumables and other sample preparations as required ready for User/visitor experiments;
- Monitor compliance by all users, of safety procedures and practices throughout the laboratories in adherence with relevant company and statutory H&S and other guidelines;
- Undertake the provision of chemicals, gases, consumables and other sample preparations as required ready for User/visitor experiments;
- Monitor and ensure the correct storage of chemicals, waste and other specialist materials in accordance with C.O.S.H.H. (maintain records where required);
- Assist with calibration and service contracts for agreed equipment;
- Undertake other duties of a similar nature including working flexibly with other employees as required.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- A-Level in Chemistry or equivalent qualification or proven work experience in a similar environment;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Ability to carry out a range of tasks in chemical & biological laboratories.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Relevant work experience in a laboratory;
- Experience in the handling of hazardous chemicals/reagents and general lab equipment;
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment, with visitors and scientists;
- Familiarity of HSE legislation, risk assessments and COSHH. Working with portable gas supplies;
- Good IT skills – standard MS Office software.
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK usually for training purposes.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com