|Job Title||Electrical Designer|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time (Part time could also be considered)|
|Salary information||£25,499 to £29,999 (Discretionary range to £34,499)|
Diamond Light Source is a world class science institute providing X-ray beams of exceptional brightness for use by scientists to probe the atomic building blocks of physical and biological matter. The Engineering Group plays a key role in the design and construction of the electron accelerators and the beamlines that transport the light from the electron accelerator to the scientific sample. The accelerators comprise normal and super-conducting magnets and Radio Frequency cavities to energise the electron beam. The beamlines are made up of optical elements and sample environments that employ sub-micron, multi-axis, precision motion systems operating in Ultra High Vacuum environments and often at cryogenic temperatures.
We are seeking highly motivated Electrical Designers to join the group to work on the detailed design of solutions to meet the scientific challenges we face.
You should have a HND/degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, the ability to communicate effectively, initiative and enthusiasm.
Candidates with suitable experience in lieu of a degree would also be welcomed.
We work in a friendly, collaborative environment with opportunities for training and career development. We also offer flexible working hours.
- Produce electrical systems designs for a variety of projects including, precision positioning controls for optical systems, vacuum control systems, machinery controls, safety circuits and LV systems;
- Develop knowledge and skills required to use electrical CAD software and AutoCAD to produce schematics, hook-ups and other electrical design documentation;
- Assist in procurement of equipment through commercial suppliers;
- Contribute to hazard analysis and risk assessment exercises;
- Maintain and update engineering drawings and documentation on projects;
- Work within DLS procedures and contribute to their development;
- Develop a knowledge of design in line with the relevant British, European international and company standards;
- Develop and apply expertise in technologies such as programmable logic controllers, motion controls, distributed IO, instrumentation and pneumatic controls.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- HND or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Ability to provide ideas and creative solutions to technical problems, then produce designs, specifications and documentation to solve the issues.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a commitment to continuing professional development.
- Demonstrate good oral and written communication skills with peers, subordinates, customers and suppliers.
- Experience of working in a team, discussing work with other team members and presenting ideas and solutions to engineers or customers.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Degree or equivalent in relevant discipline;
- Technical Apprenticeship;
- Engineering Council registration and membership of relevant professional body;
- Ability to produce electrical drawings using a CAD system to company, British, European and International standards.
- Ability to produce ancillary electrical documentation for projects including parts lists, cable schedules, P&ID diagrams using appropriate IT tools;
- Good working knowledge of an Electrical CAD system;
- Demonstrate ability and initiative to get to the heart of a problem and take it efficiently through to completion;
- Demonstrate ability to lead, motivate and manage internal and contract staff. Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary mechatronics technical team and contribute to the system design as a whole (holistic approach);
- Good background in Electrical Engineering;
- Excellent working knowledge of engineering drawings and working to specifications for controls and electrical designs;
- Experienced in the use of IT systems including Microsoft Office applications on a variety of devices;
- Good working knowledge of AutoCAD;
- Good working knowledge of an Electrical CAD package;
- Knowledge of closed loop control systems;
- Knowledge of Systems Engineering;
- Working knowledge of relevant European directives and CE marking of equipment;
- Some appreciation of electrical calculations packages;
- Experience of supervising design office work;
- Experience of working within a QA system;
- Good appreciation of project management;
- Experience of overseeing manufacture, assembly, testing and commissioning of systems;
- Competence in two or more of; precision motion control, machinery safety, electrical installations of L.V. systems, PLCs (with distributed I/O) and / or microcontrollers, instrumentation, vacuum technology, PCB design and manufacture, Pneumatic controls.
- Must be available to travel on work related business with some overnight stays occasionally.
- Light manual tasks may be involved during commissioning.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org