PDRA in Accelerator Physics
|Job Title||PDRA in Accelerator Physics|
|Post Type||Full time / Fixed Term contract up to 3 years|
|Salary information||£32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
The Diamond synchrotron light source is the largest scientific facility built in the UK, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. The Diamond facility consists of three accelerators – a 100 MeV linac, a 3 GeV booster synchrotron and a 562 m circumference 3 GeV storage ring. Diamond has 30 operational beamlines and by the end of 2020 Phase III will be concluded as all 33 beamlines will be operational.
Duties to include:
- Contribute to advanced studies for ultra low emittance lattices, with emphasis on the analysis of collective instabilities. This will involve mastering advanced numerical optimisation techniques for the analysis of beam dynamics in ultra low emittance lattice with wakefields and producing the corresponding impedance budget;
- Contribute to producing the relevant procedures and high level software tools in order to achieve the above;
- Contributing to the analysis of collective instabilities and the characterisation of the impedance in the existing Diamond Storage ring;
- Actively participate in machine development activities, proposing and undertaking new experiments, carrying out the corresponding data analysis and reporting the findings to the Accelerator Physics and Machine Development meetings.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Qualified to at least degree level in an appropriate branch of physics;
- Some experience of accelerator physics of both a practical and theoretical nature;
- Experience in the operation of existing accelerator is desirable;
- Self motivation, flexibility, ability to work effectively in a team;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Available to travel in the UK and abroad, including periods away from home;
- Available to work occasional shifts during machine development periods
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com