Senior Motion Systems Technician
|Job Title||Senior Motion Systems Technician|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
Diamond Light Source, one of the UK’s leading scientific facilities, carries out world class research. To support this research there are vacancies for a senior technician and an engineer to support motion control systems on photon beam lines.
Photon beamline and experimental stations have a large number of state-of-the-art precision motor drive stages, which are used to control the position of mechanical and optical components. These roles are responsible for supporting the design, implementation and maintenance of overall motion systems and their components.
This role will see you carrying out aspects of commissioning of motion control systems, testing, fault-finding and calibration of modules; keeping records of module history; and managing the provision of spares. In the wider sense, you’ll work with Engineers and Scientists in order to establish performance requirements and support the commissioning of systems.
You will be educated HND or HNC and recognised apprenticeship in electrical/electronic engineering, you should have some experience with stepper, and or servo drives and encoders. You should also be familiar with commissioning and fault finding electrical/electronic systems and modules. Knowledge of communication protocols and programmable logic controllers is also desirable.
You’ll be naturally self-motivated, with a hands-on approach to problem-solving; while being able to develop and follow written procedures in order to comply with operational requirements. Teamwork is key, so you’ll also bring a proven ability to instruct and supervise others – including contractors.
- Operational support on installed motion control systems;
- Commissioning, fault finding Characterising motion control system to establish the required performance;
- Design and developing motion control system in conjunction with the Senior Motion Engineer;
- Managing outside manufacture/repair of motion control system module and subassemblies;
- Maintaining records of subsystem module & software revision history;
- Supervision of contractors and installation work;
- Interfacing with internal customer including Engineers and Scientists;
- Managing work priorities of personal work;
- Reporting on progress on a period basis.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- HNC/HND with recognised apprenticeship or equivalent qualification in electronic engineering;
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written;
- Ability to solve technical problems, evaluating alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary;
- Demonstrate good organisational skills;
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a willingness to take responsibility;
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team;
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively alone and without direct supervision;
- Good amount of experience at a similar level, as an electronics technician working on industrial or scientific systems;
- Experience with stepper, and or servo drives and encoders;
- Experience of commissioning and fault finding electrical/electronic systems;
- Experience in testing, fault finding and calibration of electronic modules;
- Knowledge of communication protocols, such as RS232/422/485 and experience in fault finding;
- Experience in working with outside contracts.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- An understanding of PLC operation and programming;
- Understanding of the function and configuration of PID control loops.
- Be willing to work overtime at unsociable hours as required;
- Be willing to travel in the UK and abroad, including occasional periods away from home;
- Be prepared to undertake further training;
- Ability to work in restricted or confined spaces.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org