Senior Insertion Device Technician
|Job Title||Senior Insertion Device Technician|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£32,158 to £37,833 (Discretionary range to £43,508)|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
The Senior Technician responsible for the assembly, installation and maintenance of Insertion Devices and assisting with the testing and commissioning. He or she also looks after the day to day running of the ID group's laboratory and work shop.
- Supervise a team of technicians and or contractors;
- Work on the assembly, installation and maintenance of the Insertion Devices and associated systems;
- Maintain appropriate documentation of ID assembly and maintenance;
- Design and/or make simple jigs/fixtures and tooling to facilitate the assembly work;
- Produce simple manufacturing sketches;
- Assist in the finding of suppliers and the procurement of mechanical components and consumables;
- Supervise contractors and follow up supply contracts, including visits if required;
- Assist in testing and commissioning;
- Maintain the ID workshop and laboratory;
- Marry out inspection and acceptance testing of components and subsystems;
- Provide first line diagnosis of electromechanical faults that arise in the operation of the devices;
- Carry out safety risk assessments and write method statements for above activities;
- Work according to the quality assurance procedures of DLS;
- Undertake other related duties to meet the needs of the Diamond Technical Division, including supporting the operation of the Diamond accelerators;
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines;
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Ability to understand and interpret mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Significant relevant work experience;
- You should have proven experience in at least one of the following areas: cryogenics, high temperatures, magnetic fields and/or high pressures, ultra high vacuum, specialist gases, cooling water;
- Experience of managing teams in an engineering workshop environment;
- Proven technical experience;
- ONC or GNVQ level 2 (Applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered).
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Able to produce simple engineering drawings;
- Experience with compressed air;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com