Director of the National UK Electron Bio-Imaging Facility
|Job Title||Director of the National UK Electron Bio-Imaging Facility|
|Post Type||Full time / permanent|
|Salary information||Salary will be highly competitive, based on the level of experience and achievement|
The UK’s national synchrotron science facility, Diamond Light Source, conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science. Located 20 minutes from Oxford, it sits in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and offers rewarding career opportunities.
The Wellcome Trust with the UK Medical Research and Biotechnology and Biology Research Councils have provided funding to establish a cutting edge National Facility for electron bio-imaging in the life sciences (eBIF) at the Diamond Synchrotron close to Oxford
We seek an outstanding candidate with in depth experience of running a 3D cryo EM facility, ideally with a good appreciation of the methods and application of single particle EM, ordered assemblies, tomography and image processing, as well as analysis and interpretation of EM maps. The Director will have overall responsibility for management of the facility, working together with the management board (Helen Saibil, Kay Grünewald, David Stuart, Gerd Materlik) and an International Scientific Advisory Board. An interest in training and outreach nationally and internationally to cell and structural biology communities, cooperation with CCPEM, EMDB and possibly the X-ray microscopy beam line are also envisaged. The Director’s tasks include specifying, setting up and ensuring smooth operation of the facility. In addition, the Director is expected to run a strong scientific research programme. The funders would welcome discussions about such opportunities and further laboratory space would be available at the adjacent Research Complex @ Harwell.
To provide the lead in managing of the establishment, maintenance and development of the National Facility. Working closely with other senior scientists and the relevant support groups within Diamond. Establish and pursue an internationally competitive research programme.
Specific responsibilities of the Director
- Establish world-class cryo EM, including single particle and tomography;
- Manage a world-class user facility, to enhance the activity of the UK (and international) community;
- Establish through appropriate funding an internationally competitive scientific research programme;
- Lead competitive structural biology research, from conception to publication in high quality journals;
- Provide strategic leadership for the facility and at a high level beyond the facility including within Diamond, campus-wide and at a national level;
- Ensure that the Director and facility maintain an international profile in electron microscopy.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- PhD or engineering degree;
- Demonstrate expertise in all aspects of electron cryo-microscopy;
- Experience of EM, structural biology, facility management;
- Knowledge and understanding of sample preparation, data processing, computation, automation;
- Ability to secure external funding through peer reviewed grants and lead successful science programmes;
- Practical knowledge and experience of running a state of the art cryo EM facility;
- Experience of leading a substantial science programme;
- Demonstrate experience in all aspects of Cryo EM, single particle, tomography;
- Ability to raise substantial funding through academic and industrial grants;
- Set up, operate and manage a major facility;
- Ability to lead internationally competitive structural biology research, from conception to publication in high quality journals;
- Provide strategic leadership;
- International reputation in electron microscopy.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
For an informal discussion about this vacancy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and your enquiry will be directed accordingly.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com