Financial Systems Accountant
|Job Title||Financial Systems Accountant|
|Post Type||Full time / 18-24 months, fixed term contract|
|Salary information||Circa £42k|
|Date of interviews||06/10/2014|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
To sustain Diamond’s existing finance systems and in particular to enhance their information extraction and presentation features, and to advise upon and manage the implementation of new finance and associated systems.
- As system manager, to be responsible for the operation, maintenance & development of the Dream financial accounting system and the finance related aspects of other integrated IT based accounting solutions, such as the Eproc order processing system and any successor systems.
- To be responsible for the integrity of all financial data and the resilience of all financial systems, including fault diagnosis and resolution.
- Work closely with the Financial Accountant to prepare monthly management accounts, and submit them to the Finance Manager as a reviewed final draft. Particular responsibilities in this area are data extraction and reporting.
- To review and refine Diamond’s Statement of Requirements for Future Finance Systems (including appropriate interfaces with procurement) and to present options and recommendations to Senior Finance Management, and the Executive Board on potential solutions.
- To manage the project for the development and implementation of the new systems, including negotiations with suppliers, collaboration with Diamond managers and coordinating or leading the activities of finance and other staff allocated to the project
- To be responsible for reviewing, redesigning, developing, maintaining & operating the systems used for the preparation & consolidation of budgets and long range plans. To be responsible for accurately updating all Diamond reporting with the approved final version of the budget.
- To lead the process for defining the detailed requirement for and then delivering a fully functional, robust and supportable Fixed Asset Register.
- To provide support and training on the DLS financial reporting systems to finance staff, budget holders and to other staff across Diamond as appropriate.
- To review/maintain/ update the financial website
- Any additional accounting duties as deemed necessary.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Qualified CCAB accountant or suitably experienced passed finalist;
- Advanced capability in the use of MS office tools;
- Project management qualification for Financial IT system implementation of projects, or proven competence in the management and implementation of financial IT system projects;
- Knowledge of UK and International accounting principles and their applications to both statutory and management accounts;
- Managing operational systems to ensure timely, complete and accurate processing of data and reporting of information;
- System Administration and management including experience of being a ‘super-user’, interfacing with systems providers to resolve issues;
- Experience of specifying requirements for, assessing and selecting financial/procurement systems;
- Experience of project managing the customisation and implementation of new finance/procurement systems;
- Experience of designing processes and workflows for new finance/procurement systems;
- Clear understanding of business governance and control processes;
- Experience of testing new systems to ensure accuracy, completeness of data, simplicity of use and that the system or system improvement is fit for purpose;
- Documenting systems and processes and of designing and delivering training to staff (finance & others);
- Experience in the designing, development, maintenance & operation of systems for the preparation & consolidation of budgets and long range plans;
- No direct line management but demonstrable skills in leading or co-ordinating of the activities diverse project teams.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Strategic vision but with a pragmatic perspective when planning system and reporting developments for current and future needs;
- Demonstrable leadership skills in order to lead a diverse project team;
- Proven ability to apply MS office tools to facilitate processes for data extraction and reporting of financial;
- Knowledge of available (packaged) solutions and their key features for the following applications:
- Financial accounting systems
- Order processing systems
- Electronic fixed asset accounting systems
- Database tools such as Access
- Reporting tools such as Crystal Reports
- Ability to effectively communicate a financial perspective to highly qualified (but non-financial) members of staff.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com