Mechanical Services Technician
|Job Title||Mechanical Services Technician|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||Circa £25k|
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. Located on the Harwell Science & Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire a 20 minute drive south of Oxford in a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Diamond Light Source conducts world-class research in virtually all fields of science and offers rewarding career opportunities covering both technical and scientific disciplines.
To provide mechanical support for the Diamond Mechanical Infrastructure within the Installation Facilities Management Group.
Duties include: -
- To carry out installation and assembly of a range of mechanical components and pipework systems both on site and within workshop type environments, including testing and commissioning.
- To participate in the construction, testing and commissioning of future building services and distribution systems.
- To assist with the operation and maintenance of the building services plant and distribution systems.
- To undertake problem solving and fault diagnosis on mechanical building services including process and chilled water, pneumatic control systems/actuators, HVAC systems and associated controls,
- To liaise with other Diamond technical staff, external contractors, service engineers and suppliers.
- To perform occasional supervision of external contractors in relation to future mechanical fit out and maintenance or modification works.
- To participate in Health & Safety, Quality Assurance and Change Control Procedures as appropriate to the post.
- To carry out and assist with the preparation of safety risk assessments and method statements.
- To undertake other related duties to meet the needs of the Diamond IFM Group.
- May involve 'being on call'
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- The applicant should have served a recognised apprenticeship in an engineering discipline;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Ability to work on own initiative;
- Experience with process & chilled water systems;
- Experience with HVAC systems.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- City & Guilds Craft/Advanced Craft qualification or equivalent;
- Computer literate;
- Work planning and organisational skills;
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Able to organise and prioritise tasks to meet project timescales;
- Experience with LTHW/MTHW/Compressed air systems;
- Experience with drainage/vacuum drainage systems;
- Familiarity with using Quality Control systems, Work planning and Safe Systems of Work;
- Experience of HSE legislation;
- Significant relevant work experience.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org