PDRA for Cryo-super-resolution Correlative Microscopy
|Job Title||PDRA for Cryo-super-resolution Correlative Microscopy|
|Post Type||Full time / 3 year Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary information||£32,480 to £38,211 (Discretionary range to £43,943)|
|Date of interviews|
eBIC (electron Bio-Imaging Centre) at Diamond Light Source provides scientists with state-of-the-art experimental equipment and expertise in the field of cryo-electron microscopy, for single particle analysis and cryo-tomography. Funded by the Wellcome Trust with the UK Medical Research and Biotechnology and Biology Research Councils, eBIC is a UK National Centre for cryo-electron microscopy in the life sciences and is currently the largest centre of its kind worldwide, hosting four Titan Krios, a Talos Arctica and a Scios instruments. (http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Science/Integrated-facilities/eBIC.html).
We are seeking a highly motivated PDRA to carry out his/her own innovative research by developing and applying an integrative correlative microscopy workflow to address biological questions. The post holder will use cryo-SIM (and further develop other means of) cryo super-resolution optical microscopy, with a Scios cryoFIB/SEM instrument and Titan Krios microscopes at Diamond, and set up novel experiments to push the boundaries of correlative microscopy with cryo-super-resolution. Important studies will be the investigation of pathogen and host cell interactions. In addition, the successful candidate will play an active role to assist users with their experiments in eBIC.
The post holder should have a PhD degree in structural biology or biophysics and have a demonstrated record of accomplishment in conducting high quality original research. Knowledge at postgraduate level in cryoEM/ET is essential and experience in fluorescence microscopy and live cell imaging is desirable.
For further information about this role please contact: Peijun Zhang Tel: +44 (0) 1235 77 8878 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- PhD in structural biology or related disciplines;
- Experience in cryo-electron tomography;
- Experience in cryogenic;
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Experience of working with biological samples;
- Experience in scripting (E.g. Python) or programming;
- Ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Strong organisational skills and methodical record keeping;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to design, plan, organise, and implement projects and tasks within an allotted timeframe;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work independently;
- Flexible approach to work; ability to work with occasional weekend and out-of-hours working.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Experience in fluorescence light microscopy;
- Experience in the use of the FIB/SEM to image and prepare biological samples under cryogenic conditions.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com