The new User Administration System (UAS) has been developed to make the process for reviewers as simple and straightforward as possible. The aim of the notes below is to help you become familiar with this process. Please remember that we only ask you to read, comment and grade those proposals assigned to you. (We may seek your advise on a few proposals outside of your panel), but of course you have access to all proposals in your panel.
Using the UAS:
2. Click on your name in the top right hand side of the screen and press “Switch to Peer Reviewer role”. This will change your view to enable you to undertake your scientific assessments.
3. You will automatically be taken to the “Reviews” tab area.
4. The table shown gives a list of all proposals to be considered by your panel (note you are not required to review all of these) plus any specific cross panel proposals (if appropriate) for you.
At the right hand side of the screen there are 3 links:
· “PDF of My Proposals” – this downloads all the proposals that are for you to review.
· “PDF of all Panel Proposals” – a file containing all proposals being reviewed by your panel plus any specific cross panel proposals. If proposals have been linked to previous proposals then the experimental report for the linked proposal will also be included.
· “Download Excel “– this downloads all the proposals being reviewed by your panel plus any specific cross panel proposals into an excel file for completion. Note the excel file will download the information as seen in the table so don’t change the filters if you want to see everything.
· “Upload Excel” – this uploads the excel file back into the software. Note this does not have to be complete to be uploaded and can be uploaded/downloaded as many times as you wish. Completed assessments will be visible in the table in UAS.
5. The only information that you need to complete is highlighted in green. Only these cells should be modified. The information required is:
· Able to review: if you feel unable to review a proposal then please change Yes to No and upload the spreadsheet so the User Office can pick up the information to reassign the proposal.
the range is 1.0 (low) to 5.0 (high). (If an excel file is uploaded with grades higher than 5.0 then the grade and the comment will be lost). Please refer to the peer review guidelines
for information on the grades.
· Review Comments: please include comments to support your grade.
These guidelines are available via the hyperlink in the spreadsheet.
· You can use columns W & beyond for notes if you wish but these will not be uploaded into the system.
· There are hidden columns throughout the spreadsheet which enables the files to be uploaded – please do not remove these.
· Please do not alter the worksheet labelled “hidden”.
Explanation of the headings in the Excel file:
· Access route: Standard (previously Direct) is an application for beamtime in the next AP. Block Allocation Group (BAG) and Long Term Proposals (LTP) are a request for access over a 2 year period. For new BAG or LTP applications the panel member needs to consider whether the proposals are eligible for this longer term access. Please state in your comments whether the proposal should be considered as a BAG/LTP or downgraded to a standard proposal.
· Alternate Beamline: these are identified and will have been passed to another panel if applicable.
· Continuation or Resubmission: Users now have an opportunity to link a new proposal to a previously submitted proposal. This column highlights whether it is a resubmission or a continuation.
· Technical Assessments: includes feasibility rating and comments from PBSs on all beamlines requested.
· Review Required: informs you whether you need to review the proposal as PRP 1, PRP 2 or PRP 3. If this is flagged as “Yes” then we will be expecting a grade and comment.
· Conflicts: identifies anyone within the panel who has a conflict with the proposal
How to find further information on proposals and PIs:
- Click on the “Proposals” tab at the top of the page.
- Historic information on proposals can be accessed from this page.
· Proposal PDF: is the PDF of the submitted proposal
· Allocation Period: gives the allocation the proposal was submitted
· State: outcome of the proposal
· Final Report: experimental report for completed beamtime.
- Data can be accessed:
· PI search: type in the surname of the PI, choose the correct person from the list given (please be patient) and then the table will give all the proposals which they have submitted as a PI.
· Awarded Beamline: only proposals for the beamlines considered by the panel will be available plus any proposals from other beamlines which have been linked.
· Allocation Period: proposals are currently being considered for AP19