Welcome to Beamline B16 - Test Beamline
This is a flexible and versatile beamline for testing new developments in optics and detector technology and for trialling new experimental techniques. The beamline provides both white and monochromatic X-rays in several operational modes.
The B16 Test beamline works closely with the Optics and Metrology Group at Diamond.
The beamline operates in the 4 – 20 keV photon energy range and is used for the characterisation of optics, detectors and other instrumentation, and for the development of novel techniques and technologies. Main roles for the Test beamline are:
- to test optical components and detectors and provide absolute / relative calibrations;
- for the continual development of optics and detector programmes, without interrupting the schedule of the other beamlines;
- to perform simple, exploratory experiments in new research areas (prior to the production of a full beamtime proposal);
- to develop "proof of principle" experiments for new techniques;
- to investigate beamline automation hardware and software.