Senior Software Engineer - Team Leader
|Job Title||Senior Software Engineer - Team Leader|
|Post Type||Full time / Permanent|
|Salary information||£42,297 to £49,761 (Discretionary range to £57,225)|
We are looking for a high calibre senior software engineer to join our dynamic scientific software group to lead a small team working on visualization and analysis of data from experiments at Diamond. In collaboration with world leading software groups such the Eclipse foundation and our internal software groups the role will share the responsibility for the provision of software applications for advanced data evaluation, analysis and visualization for users of Diamond facilities. These applications exploit the very latest techniques and high performance computing to address the challenging requirements of a broad range of scientific disciplines including macromolecular crystallography through to nanostructures and materials science.
You will operate, and lead a small team, within the scientific software group of experienced software scientists and engineers and will work with our scientists to identify and define requirements for data analysis and visualization applications you will ensure that they are implemented in a timely and effective way. Working with our data acquisition team you will help optimize and record the whole scientific process at a Diamond beamline from data acquisition through to the experimenters leaving with high quality experimental results.
The work will also involve enhancing and supporting the core features of a software data analysis workbench (DAWN) project being worked on in Diamond. DAWN is an Open Source project so there will be opportunities to work with collaborators at other similar facilities worldwide.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- Use of software development frameworks and applications such as Eclipse;
- Extensive experience of Java and Java GUI programming, including RCP and SWT;
- Experience of software testing systems;
- Background in using software engineering techniques for development;
- Requires significant practical experience in a professional, scientific or technical field;
- Project management experience including using Agile processes;
- Ability to supervise or mentor small teams of more junior technical or administrative roles.
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Expert with the DAWN software APIs, design methodology and architecture;
- Experience of programming languages such as C++ and Python;
- PhD in appropriate discipline.
Information on DAWN
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org