|Job Title||Mechanical Technician|
|Post Type||Permanent / Full time|
|Salary information||£25,247 to £29,702 (Discretionary range to £34,157)|
The aim of the Insertion Devices group is to provide state-of-the-art insertion devices for Diamond, which are used in many of our beamlines in order to produce a more intense light.
We are now seeking a Mechanical Technician to contribute to the assembly, commissioning, installation and maintenance of these insertion devices.
- To assemble all aspects of insertion devices (ID’s) including permanent magnet, precision mechanical, UHV and cryogenic assemblies;
- To assist in the installation and commissioning of ID’s;
- To carry out inspection of manufactured items to drawings;
- To assist in the maintenance and upgrading of existing ID’s;
- To carry out machining to drawings, design jigs and fixtures and manufacture where necessary;
- To carry out general laboratory/workshop work as required;
- To assist with procurement by liaising with suppliers and placing orders.
Qualification & Experience - Essential
- ONC or GNVQ level 2 (applicants with equivalent work experience will also be considered);
- Ability to understand and interpret mechanical drawings;
- Ability to carry out a variety of light mechanical and electrical assembly tasks, including soldering;
- Ability to interact with people at all levels;
- Significant relevant work experience;
- You should have proven experience in at least one of the following areas: cryogenics, high temperatures, magnetic fields and/or high pressures, ultra high vacuum, specialist gases, cooling water;
- Proven technical experience;
Qualification & Experience - Desirable
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to use standard electronic measurement instruments;
- Good IT skills - standard MS Office software;
- Good planning and organising skills;
- Good communication skills, verbal and written;
- Able to produce simple engineering drawings;
- Experience with compressed air;
- Familiarity with using quality assurance procedures, work planning and safe systems of work.
- Candidates must be available to work flexibly during commissioning and later operations when there will be periods of intense activity to meet deadlines.
- Some travel may be required, usually within the UK and with occasional overnight stays.
Applying for employment
For further details on applying for employment at Diamond, please visit our 'Application Form' page.
Appointments will be made depending on the skills and experience of the candidate. Electronic Diamond application forms in MS-Word are preferred. These should be emailed to email@example.com